May 17, 2010, 10:55 PM EDT
John Calipari can’t leave Kentucky for the NBA. What would we do for offseason college hoops news?
That’s hardly what Big Blue Nation wants to read, however. They’d prefer Calipari – in the face of unrelenting rumors that’s he’s a prospect to coach wherever LeBron James eventually signs – simply tweet definitive statements like this once or twice a day. (Or to have stories like this refute the rumors.)
|What to believe with John Calipari?
Even better for Kentucky fans would be more non-stop recruiting stories, much like last season when Calipari brought in an all-time freshman class.
He’s not far behind this season, securing commitments from five-star prospects Brandon Knight, Enes Kanter and Doron Lamb and four-star player Stacey Poole. The latest gem? The transfer of former Florida power forward Eloy Vargas, who figures to play prominently with the departure of Patrick Patterson.
Instead, we’re all stuck with the daily NBA rumors. Not nearly as much fun.
But I suppose that’s life with Calipari. He’s never been one to shy from a challenge – and the NBA would qualify as one.
Some doubt he’ll head to the NBA this season, mostly because his ego can’t handle the thought of being a “package deal” with LeBron. That makes sense, too. Who wants their coaching future tied to a star player (even if that player is LeBron)?
NBA free agency begins July 1. Until then, Calipari’s future will almost certainly be a regular story, blog and Twitter topic. No matter how many denials he issues, people won’t believe he’ll stay at Kentucky until two things happen: LeBron signs with a team and has a coach in place or the 2010-11 college hoops season begins.
Let’s see … July 1 is six and half weeks away. The season starts in roughly 24 weeks.
Please let this all be resolved before the latter. Not sure I can handle 24 updates on Calipari’s coaching future.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 0
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 0
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 0
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 11
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel