May 18, 2010, 11:53 AM EDT
How does one celebrate a team that hasn’t lost since April of 2008? You keep it simple.
President Obama did just that when the Connecticut women’s basketball team visited the White House on Monday, lauding them as the best team in all of sports.
Hey, when you’ve won two straight national titles and reeled off 78 straight wins – nearly all by double digits – you’ve earned that unofficial title.
“I was telling [the team that] Michelle and I work out in the morning — see, we got a little gym here in the White House — and we just watch ‘SportsCenter,’” Obama said. “I know you’ll be surprised that we don’t watch the news shows. But this is really true. You know, during the entire season, I just kept on repeating, and I truly believe, this was the best team in all of sports, any sport, any gender, by far.”
At this rate, the Huskies are a good bet to visit the White House for the third straight time next year (do they get a set of steak knives of something at that point) when they can hopefully compare shooting skills again.
Last year, Obama and UConn star Maya Moore played a game of P-I-G. This year, rain prevented it. Next year, maybe they’ll finally get in that game of H-O-R-S-E.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Nate Robinson, other Washington greats to play in alumni game June 23 (3)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1