May 25, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
The early odds for the 2011 NCAA tournament champion favor – as expected – Duke, Michigan State and Purdue, the three teams atop most way too early Top 25s.
According to Sportsbook.com, the Devils are the team to beat (6-1), while the Spartans (10-1) and Boilermakers (12-1) are right behind.
Behind those three are four usual suspects: Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State and Villanova are all 20-1. After that, it’s a mix of traditional powers, elite mid-majors and a couple of re-building programs. Butler, Florida, Illinois, Kansas State, Memphis, North Carolina, Pitt and Syracuse.
And then, it got strange.
West Virginia is 30-1. Texas is 40-1, along with Baylor, Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, Wisconsin and Xavier. Gotta agree with Jeff Eisenberg: What are the Huskies and Cardinals doing at 40-1?
The best value on the whole list? UNLV at 100-1. Now those are odds worth putting $10 on. Not that I’m suggesting you do so. Our lawyers wouldn’t like that.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)