May 25, 2010, 2:44 AM EST
The early odds for the 2011 NCAA tournament champion favor – as expected – Duke, Michigan State and Purdue, the three teams atop most way too early Top 25s.
According to Sportsbook.com, the Devils are the team to beat (6-1), while the Spartans (10-1) and Boilermakers (12-1) are right behind.
Behind those three are four usual suspects: Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio State and Villanova are all 20-1. After that, it’s a mix of traditional powers, elite mid-majors and a couple of re-building programs. Butler, Florida, Illinois, Kansas State, Memphis, North Carolina, Pitt and Syracuse.
And then, it got strange.
West Virginia is 30-1. Texas is 40-1, along with Baylor, Georgetown, Louisville, UConn, Wisconsin and Xavier. Gotta agree with Jeff Eisenberg: What are the Huskies and Cardinals doing at 40-1?
The best value on the whole list? UNLV at 100-1. Now those are odds worth putting $10 on. Not that I’m suggesting you do so. Our lawyers wouldn’t like that.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)