May 30, 2010, 10:01 PM EST
Some aren’t so sure John Wall’s a slam dunk as the No. 1 overall pick in June’s NBA draft. But the debate usually revolves around Wall or Evan Turner.
Time to add DeMarcus Cousins to that mix?
The Wages of Wins advises new Washington Wizards owner Ted Leonisis to give that idea some serious thought.
The 6-11 center did turn in an impressive 15.61 PAWS 40 (for more on that stat, click http://www.dailythunder.com/modern-stats/), or better than anyone else in most mock draft’s top five. That includes guys like Turner, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Favors, and Wall.
Valuing Cousins over Wall isn’t a new idea, either.
Wall’s flashier, but Cousins put up better tempo-free stats in 2009-10 and arguably was the most important player in Kentucky’s roster. Also, Cousins will probably have an easier transition to the NBA. Big men usually do.
But does all that mean the Wizards should really take Cousins? After all, using only a freshman season of stats doesn’t provide the complete picture of how a player will project into the NBA. Should Wall get a bump because he’s more mature and less likely to make dumb off-court decisions? And what about in five years when both will finally be seasoned vets? Who’s better at that point?
So many questions. Leonisis better consider more than just PAWS 40.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)