May 30, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Some aren’t so sure John Wall’s a slam dunk as the No. 1 overall pick in June’s NBA draft. But the debate usually revolves around Wall or Evan Turner.
Time to add DeMarcus Cousins to that mix?
The Wages of Wins advises new Washington Wizards owner Ted Leonisis to give that idea some serious thought.
The 6-11 center did turn in an impressive 15.61 PAWS 40 (for more on that stat, click http://www.dailythunder.com/modern-stats/), or better than anyone else in most mock draft’s top five. That includes guys like Turner, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Favors, and Wall.
Valuing Cousins over Wall isn’t a new idea, either.
Wall’s flashier, but Cousins put up better tempo-free stats in 2009-10 and arguably was the most important player in Kentucky’s roster. Also, Cousins will probably have an easier transition to the NBA. Big men usually do.
But does all that mean the Wizards should really take Cousins? After all, using only a freshman season of stats doesn’t provide the complete picture of how a player will project into the NBA. Should Wall get a bump because he’s more mature and less likely to make dumb off-court decisions? And what about in five years when both will finally be seasoned vets? Who’s better at that point?
So many questions. Leonisis better consider more than just PAWS 40.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 1
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)