May 30, 2010, 10:01 PM EDT
Some aren’t so sure John Wall’s a slam dunk as the No. 1 overall pick in June’s NBA draft. But the debate usually revolves around Wall or Evan Turner.
Time to add DeMarcus Cousins to that mix?
The Wages of Wins advises new Washington Wizards owner Ted Leonisis to give that idea some serious thought.
The 6-11 center did turn in an impressive 15.61 PAWS 40 (for more on that stat, click http://www.dailythunder.com/modern-stats/), or better than anyone else in most mock draft’s top five. That includes guys like Turner, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Favors, and Wall.
Valuing Cousins over Wall isn’t a new idea, either.
Wall’s flashier, but Cousins put up better tempo-free stats in 2009-10 and arguably was the most important player in Kentucky’s roster. Also, Cousins will probably have an easier transition to the NBA. Big men usually do.
But does all that mean the Wizards should really take Cousins? After all, using only a freshman season of stats doesn’t provide the complete picture of how a player will project into the NBA. Should Wall get a bump because he’s more mature and less likely to make dumb off-court decisions? And what about in five years when both will finally be seasoned vets? Who’s better at that point?
So many questions. Leonisis better consider more than just PAWS 40.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)