May 30, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
Questions surround Eric Bledsoe’s college eligibility. The NCAA is investigating issues regarding academics and extra benefits, according to a report from the N.Y. Times.
Meanwhile, Kentucky fans have only one question: What does this mean for the Wildcats?
At best, nothing (though we won’t know for a while).
At worst, it’ll be as if the 2009-10 season never existed. And that’s a sobering thought. From ESPN’s Dana O’Neil:
A source with knowledge of NCAA rules said “depending on the specific facts that come out,” the NCAA’s options include deeming Bledsoe ineligible, which could potentially lead to forfeited games or even a vacated season.
The school says Bledsoe passed an extensive review process by the school, by the NCAA Eligibility Center and was cleared academically.
If you think that sounds like the Derrick Rose situation at Memphis, you’d be right. Then again, it also sounds like the Darrell Arthur situation at Kansas. It’s hard to say how it’ll end up, but there are four things to consider, as O’Neil writes:
- Did the relationship develop as a result of the athlete’s participation in athletics?
- Did the relationship predate the athlete’s status as a prospect?
- Did the relationship predate the athlete’s status achieved as a result of their athletics ability/reputation?
- Was the pattern of benefits provided before the athlete’s notoriety similar to those provided after?
Maybe John Calipari should start to reconsider his recruitment of at-risk players. And perhaps the NCAA should adjust its rules when it comes to some of these players’ situations. Sometimes, it’s just all gray.
The only thing I know for sure? It’s going to be a tense few months in Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)