May 30, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
Questions surround Eric Bledsoe’s college eligibility. The NCAA is investigating issues regarding academics and extra benefits, according to a report from the N.Y. Times.
Meanwhile, Kentucky fans have only one question: What does this mean for the Wildcats?
At best, nothing (though we won’t know for a while).
At worst, it’ll be as if the 2009-10 season never existed. And that’s a sobering thought. From ESPN’s Dana O’Neil:
A source with knowledge of NCAA rules said “depending on the specific facts that come out,” the NCAA’s options include deeming Bledsoe ineligible, which could potentially lead to forfeited games or even a vacated season.
The school says Bledsoe passed an extensive review process by the school, by the NCAA Eligibility Center and was cleared academically.
If you think that sounds like the Derrick Rose situation at Memphis, you’d be right. Then again, it also sounds like the Darrell Arthur situation at Kansas. It’s hard to say how it’ll end up, but there are four things to consider, as O’Neil writes:
- Did the relationship develop as a result of the athlete’s participation in athletics?
- Did the relationship predate the athlete’s status as a prospect?
- Did the relationship predate the athlete’s status achieved as a result of their athletics ability/reputation?
- Was the pattern of benefits provided before the athlete’s notoriety similar to those provided after?
Maybe John Calipari should start to reconsider his recruitment of at-risk players. And perhaps the NCAA should adjust its rules when it comes to some of these players’ situations. Sometimes, it’s just all gray.
The only thing I know for sure? It’s going to be a tense few months in Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)