Jun 8, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
Mike Krzyzewski’s long been one of college basketball’s best coaches. Turns out he’s also the best paid.
The Raleigh News & Observer obtained tax filings that showed Duke paid Krzyzewski $4.19 million in total compensation during the 2008-09 school year – and that was before winning the NCAA title this season. That’s a rise from $1.3 million during the 2005-06 fiscal year.
Coach K and Kentucky’s John Calipari are the only two college hoops coaches in the $4 million range. Three college football coaches reportedly are at that level.
Duke is a private, non-profit university and doesn’t have to comment on salaries. But I’m sure they don’t regret the pay bump for Krzyzewski – even if for once they didn’t turn a profit with men’s hoops.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 2
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)