Jun 14, 2010, 10:16 PM EST
Dale G. Young / AP
Everyone in Michigan wants to know what Tom Izzo’s doing. Friday it was fans gathering outside the Breslin Center. Today, it was an inquisitive camper and state lawmakers.
Bill Ford Jr. must be next.
A bipartisan group of seven Michigan lawmakers (Izzo’s apparently the unifier) wrote the coach encouraging him to stay in East Lansing, according to The Hill.com. And they laid it on thick:
“Coach Izzo, you certainly have had great success on the basketball court, with an NCAA National Championship, six Final Four appearances and four National Coach of the Year awards,” the lawmakers wrote. “Far more important than that in our eyes, however, is that you have been an ambassador for Michigan, a philanthropist and the kind of leader of student athletes of whom every Michigander can be proud.
“Coach Izzo, we wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future, a future we certainly hope includes you and your family remaining in East Lansing focused on continuing to win titles at Michigan State, change young men’s lives and promote Michigan on the national stage.”
Tough to top the camper, though. A kid at Michigan State’s week-long basketball camp showed no fear Monday morning, asking Izzo if he was heading to Cleveland. Not that the coach liked the query.
“Bad question,” Izzo said. “[the media] want to know that.”
That kid’s got a future as a sports blogger/writer.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)