Jul 5, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
He may even come to your school.
God’s Gift Achiuwa, a 6-foot-9 forward at Erie Community College, was a third-team All-America last season after averaging 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks a game as a freshman. As an added bonus, he logged a 4.0 GPA last fall, and a 3.8 this spring.
Sounds like someone’s living up to his name.
How’d he get that moniker, anyway? Achiuwa, a native of Nigeria, comes from a religious family. His dad’s a minister and thought it was appropriate, writes Jeff Eisenberg over at the Dagger.
“His name is the first thing that anyone asks about when they meet him,” Erie coach Alex Nwora told Eisenberg. “Everyone thought it was a nickname or something, but that’s his real name. Fortunately, he’s a religious kid, so he likes it.”
I’m guessing Achiuwa also likes the attention his play – and his name – are garnering. Kansas, Pitt, St. John’s and Tennessee all have shown interest, though Nwora says Achiuwa’s game still needs a little work. But the possibilities for when he does hit D-I are endless. Adam Zagoria has about four different catchphrases prepped if Achiuwa plays at MSG.
Though I’m hoping Stu Scott doesn’t pull the SportsCenter highlights…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)