Jul 5, 2010, 8:22 PM EST
He may even come to your school.
God’s Gift Achiuwa, a 6-foot-9 forward at Erie Community College, was a third-team All-America last season after averaging 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks a game as a freshman. As an added bonus, he logged a 4.0 GPA last fall, and a 3.8 this spring.
Sounds like someone’s living up to his name.
How’d he get that moniker, anyway? Achiuwa, a native of Nigeria, comes from a religious family. His dad’s a minister and thought it was appropriate, writes Jeff Eisenberg over at the Dagger.
“His name is the first thing that anyone asks about when they meet him,” Erie coach Alex Nwora told Eisenberg. “Everyone thought it was a nickname or something, but that’s his real name. Fortunately, he’s a religious kid, so he likes it.”
I’m guessing Achiuwa also likes the attention his play – and his name – are garnering. Kansas, Pitt, St. John’s and Tennessee all have shown interest, though Nwora says Achiuwa’s game still needs a little work. But the possibilities for when he does hit D-I are endless. Adam Zagoria has about four different catchphrases prepped if Achiuwa plays at MSG.
Though I’m hoping Stu Scott doesn’t pull the SportsCenter highlights…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)