Jul 5, 2010, 8:22 PM EST
He may even come to your school.
God’s Gift Achiuwa, a 6-foot-9 forward at Erie Community College, was a third-team All-America last season after averaging 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks a game as a freshman. As an added bonus, he logged a 4.0 GPA last fall, and a 3.8 this spring.
Sounds like someone’s living up to his name.
How’d he get that moniker, anyway? Achiuwa, a native of Nigeria, comes from a religious family. His dad’s a minister and thought it was appropriate, writes Jeff Eisenberg over at the Dagger.
“His name is the first thing that anyone asks about when they meet him,” Erie coach Alex Nwora told Eisenberg. “Everyone thought it was a nickname or something, but that’s his real name. Fortunately, he’s a religious kid, so he likes it.”
I’m guessing Achiuwa also likes the attention his play – and his name – are garnering. Kansas, Pitt, St. John’s and Tennessee all have shown interest, though Nwora says Achiuwa’s game still needs a little work. But the possibilities for when he does hit D-I are endless. Adam Zagoria has about four different catchphrases prepped if Achiuwa plays at MSG.
Though I’m hoping Stu Scott doesn’t pull the SportsCenter highlights…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)