Jul 5, 2010, 8:22 PM EST
He may even come to your school.
God’s Gift Achiuwa, a 6-foot-9 forward at Erie Community College, was a third-team All-America last season after averaging 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks a game as a freshman. As an added bonus, he logged a 4.0 GPA last fall, and a 3.8 this spring.
Sounds like someone’s living up to his name.
How’d he get that moniker, anyway? Achiuwa, a native of Nigeria, comes from a religious family. His dad’s a minister and thought it was appropriate, writes Jeff Eisenberg over at the Dagger.
“His name is the first thing that anyone asks about when they meet him,” Erie coach Alex Nwora told Eisenberg. “Everyone thought it was a nickname or something, but that’s his real name. Fortunately, he’s a religious kid, so he likes it.”
I’m guessing Achiuwa also likes the attention his play – and his name – are garnering. Kansas, Pitt, St. John’s and Tennessee all have shown interest, though Nwora says Achiuwa’s game still needs a little work. But the possibilities for when he does hit D-I are endless. Adam Zagoria has about four different catchphrases prepped if Achiuwa plays at MSG.
Though I’m hoping Stu Scott doesn’t pull the SportsCenter highlights…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)