Jul 5, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
He may even come to your school.
God’s Gift Achiuwa, a 6-foot-9 forward at Erie Community College, was a third-team All-America last season after averaging 13.1 points, 13.5 rebounds and two blocks a game as a freshman. As an added bonus, he logged a 4.0 GPA last fall, and a 3.8 this spring.
Sounds like someone’s living up to his name.
How’d he get that moniker, anyway? Achiuwa, a native of Nigeria, comes from a religious family. His dad’s a minister and thought it was appropriate, writes Jeff Eisenberg over at the Dagger.
“His name is the first thing that anyone asks about when they meet him,” Erie coach Alex Nwora told Eisenberg. “Everyone thought it was a nickname or something, but that’s his real name. Fortunately, he’s a religious kid, so he likes it.”
I’m guessing Achiuwa also likes the attention his play – and his name – are garnering. Kansas, Pitt, St. John’s and Tennessee all have shown interest, though Nwora says Achiuwa’s game still needs a little work. But the possibilities for when he does hit D-I are endless. Adam Zagoria has about four different catchphrases prepped if Achiuwa plays at MSG.
Though I’m hoping Stu Scott doesn’t pull the SportsCenter highlights…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)