Jul 6, 2010, 7:56 PM EST
Few teams are more desperate for a big season than N.C. State. The Wolfpack are 71-62 since Sidney Lowe became coach in 2006-07, finishing 10th, 11th, 10th and 9th in the ACC standings.
David J. Phillip/AP
That’s a tough run for a hoops proud school.
Well, the players are trying to do something about it. Senior Tracy Smith, incoming freshman C.J. Leslie and others are playing in the S.J.G. Greater NC Pro Am summer league at N.C. Central. The goal, as Leslie told the Raleigh News & Observer, “is for us to make sure we jell together.”
Then again, Lowe’s not sold. He says he played in a total of four summer league games in two years and usually found other ways to “work on his game.” He warned his guys to focus on their teamwork, not showboating.
“Don’t go pick up bad habits,” Lowe said. “You pretty much play the same way. I know it’s going to be a little looser than normal, but don’t go out there and pick up bad habits.”
Is Lowe being overbearing? Not really. His guys are on the same page. They’re just trying to work out some kinks. Tough part will be waiting to see when/if it all pays off.
“You have to know everything about your teammates,” Smith said. “College is very different than high school. On this level, chemistry is very important.”
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)