Jul 6, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
Few teams are more desperate for a big season than N.C. State. The Wolfpack are 71-62 since Sidney Lowe became coach in 2006-07, finishing 10th, 11th, 10th and 9th in the ACC standings.
David J. Phillip/AP
That’s a tough run for a hoops proud school.
Well, the players are trying to do something about it. Senior Tracy Smith, incoming freshman C.J. Leslie and others are playing in the S.J.G. Greater NC Pro Am summer league at N.C. Central. The goal, as Leslie told the Raleigh News & Observer, “is for us to make sure we jell together.”
Then again, Lowe’s not sold. He says he played in a total of four summer league games in two years and usually found other ways to “work on his game.” He warned his guys to focus on their teamwork, not showboating.
“Don’t go pick up bad habits,” Lowe said. “You pretty much play the same way. I know it’s going to be a little looser than normal, but don’t go out there and pick up bad habits.”
Is Lowe being overbearing? Not really. His guys are on the same page. They’re just trying to work out some kinks. Tough part will be waiting to see when/if it all pays off.
“You have to know everything about your teammates,” Smith said. “College is very different than high school. On this level, chemistry is very important.”
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)