Jul 6, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
Few teams are more desperate for a big season than N.C. State. The Wolfpack are 71-62 since Sidney Lowe became coach in 2006-07, finishing 10th, 11th, 10th and 9th in the ACC standings.
David J. Phillip/AP
That’s a tough run for a hoops proud school.
Well, the players are trying to do something about it. Senior Tracy Smith, incoming freshman C.J. Leslie and others are playing in the S.J.G. Greater NC Pro Am summer league at N.C. Central. The goal, as Leslie told the Raleigh News & Observer, “is for us to make sure we jell together.”
Then again, Lowe’s not sold. He says he played in a total of four summer league games in two years and usually found other ways to “work on his game.” He warned his guys to focus on their teamwork, not showboating.
“Don’t go pick up bad habits,” Lowe said. “You pretty much play the same way. I know it’s going to be a little looser than normal, but don’t go out there and pick up bad habits.”
Is Lowe being overbearing? Not really. His guys are on the same page. They’re just trying to work out some kinks. Tough part will be waiting to see when/if it all pays off.
“You have to know everything about your teammates,” Smith said. “College is very different than high school. On this level, chemistry is very important.”
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)