Jul 8, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
There’s an embarrassment of riches on the USA Basketball Select squad.
Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler and Shelvin Mack all played in the national title game. Jimmer Fredette and LaceDarius Dunn are among the nation’s elite scorers. Marcus Morris and JaJuan Johnson will be vying for All-America honors at forward. And that’s just for starters among the 20-man roster.
Now comes the tough part. Coaches Jay Wright and Lorenzo Romar have to settle on a rotation. It’s one of those “nice problems to have.”
Luckily for them, there’s no shortage of Internet advice.
SI.com’s Luke Winn surveyed 20 various writers and bloggers on Twitter to see who they’d start among those guys. The results will probably be fairly close to what Romar and Wright decide.
1. Jacob Pullen
2. LaceDarius Dunn
3. Kyle Singler
4. Marcus Morris
5. JaJuan Johnson
1a. Kemba Walker
1b. Jimmer Fredette
1c. Nolan Smith
4. Chris Singleton
5. Trey Thompkins
That’s a salty group. Rob Dauster thinks Smith might be preferable over Pullen (because of how Smith played in the NCAA tournament), while Jeff Eisenberg says Singler’s probably the one no-brainer among the group.
Can’t argue with the teams or either sentiment. But I’ll go one further on Singler: He’s not only the no-brainer among the players, but he’s also the most invaluable. If there’s an issue involving playing time, or chemistry, Singler’s the best option to resolve any issue by shuffling him into various roles or positions.
And if that’s the case, I’d say this summer could set up Singler for a shot at national player of the year in 2010-11…if he can hold off the rest of this squad.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 0
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 1
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)