Jul 11, 2010, 8:44 PM EDT
Good news Kentucky fans : John Calipari’s recruiting reputation is getting a boost. Need I mention this is bad news for everyone else?
Calipari’s been synonymous with NBA-bound point guards, sending the likes of Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall to the pros, two of whom were selected No. 1 overall. Well, with DeMarcus Cousins and Daniel Orton going in 2010’s first round, prospective bigs are taking notice.
Amir Williams, a 6-foot-10 center from Detroit, told the Lexington Herald-Leader that a coach who can get big men into the NBA is a huge recruiting plus.
“That’s real important,” Williams said. “I want to go to a school that will use their ‘bigs,’ develop their ‘bigs’ and put them in the pros.”
He’s not the only one, either.
Recruits such as Anthony Davis and Kyle Wiltjer have elevated Kentucky on their short list and others figure to do the same. The dribble-drive offense may scare off some recruits (it’s seen as more guard-friendly), but those concerns will evaporate as more and more big men get drafted.
“I think Calipari’s reputation extends almost equally to big guys as point guards,” analyst Brick Oettinger of the Prep Stars recruiting service told the paper. “How many other coaches had two freshman big men going in the NBA Draft? And not just this year. Ever.”
Just when you thought Calipari couldn’t do much better at recruiting…
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)