Jul 14, 2010, 2:54 AM EDT
Michael Gilchrist’s doing his best to cement his reputation as the top recruit of 2011. And he’s done it in a matter of days.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who committed to Kentucky in April, helped Team USA win gold in the FIBA U17 World Championships, averaging 15 points per game – in just 19 minutes – and made 65 percent of his shots. His semifinal performance vs. Canada (30 points, 15 boards) was classic.
And he wasn’t finished. The Nike Peach Jam Tournament awaited. From Mike DeCourcy:
Gilchrist landed in Columbia, S.C., at 10:40 p.m. Monday. He caught a ride south, made it to bed at 5 a.m., woke up a couple hours later and–in a game that began 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Nike Peach Jam tournament–scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Team Final’s 60-54 victory over Mean Streets.
“I always play hard. It comes natural to me,” said Gilchrist, who is from Elizabeth, N.J. “I had to play for my team, and for myself. I don’t like losing. I don’t want to lose at all.”
As an added bonus, Gilchrist played against 6-10 Anthony Davis, also seen as one of the top prospects of 2011, and did just fine, all on a few hours of sleep.
John Calipari must be smiling right about now, along with most of Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)