Jul 14, 2010, 2:54 AM EST
Michael Gilchrist’s doing his best to cement his reputation as the top recruit of 2011. And he’s done it in a matter of days.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who committed to Kentucky in April, helped Team USA win gold in the FIBA U17 World Championships, averaging 15 points per game – in just 19 minutes – and made 65 percent of his shots. His semifinal performance vs. Canada (30 points, 15 boards) was classic.
And he wasn’t finished. The Nike Peach Jam Tournament awaited. From Mike DeCourcy:
Gilchrist landed in Columbia, S.C., at 10:40 p.m. Monday. He caught a ride south, made it to bed at 5 a.m., woke up a couple hours later and–in a game that began 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Nike Peach Jam tournament–scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Team Final’s 60-54 victory over Mean Streets.
“I always play hard. It comes natural to me,” said Gilchrist, who is from Elizabeth, N.J. “I had to play for my team, and for myself. I don’t like losing. I don’t want to lose at all.”
As an added bonus, Gilchrist played against 6-10 Anthony Davis, also seen as one of the top prospects of 2011, and did just fine, all on a few hours of sleep.
John Calipari must be smiling right about now, along with most of Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)