Jul 14, 2010, 2:54 AM EST
Michael Gilchrist’s doing his best to cement his reputation as the top recruit of 2011. And he’s done it in a matter of days.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who committed to Kentucky in April, helped Team USA win gold in the FIBA U17 World Championships, averaging 15 points per game – in just 19 minutes – and made 65 percent of his shots. His semifinal performance vs. Canada (30 points, 15 boards) was classic.
And he wasn’t finished. The Nike Peach Jam Tournament awaited. From Mike DeCourcy:
Gilchrist landed in Columbia, S.C., at 10:40 p.m. Monday. He caught a ride south, made it to bed at 5 a.m., woke up a couple hours later and–in a game that began 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Nike Peach Jam tournament–scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Team Final’s 60-54 victory over Mean Streets.
“I always play hard. It comes natural to me,” said Gilchrist, who is from Elizabeth, N.J. “I had to play for my team, and for myself. I don’t like losing. I don’t want to lose at all.”
As an added bonus, Gilchrist played against 6-10 Anthony Davis, also seen as one of the top prospects of 2011, and did just fine, all on a few hours of sleep.
John Calipari must be smiling right about now, along with most of Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)