Jul 14, 2010, 2:54 AM EST
Michael Gilchrist’s doing his best to cement his reputation as the top recruit of 2011. And he’s done it in a matter of days.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who committed to Kentucky in April, helped Team USA win gold in the FIBA U17 World Championships, averaging 15 points per game – in just 19 minutes – and made 65 percent of his shots. His semifinal performance vs. Canada (30 points, 15 boards) was classic.
And he wasn’t finished. The Nike Peach Jam Tournament awaited. From Mike DeCourcy:
Gilchrist landed in Columbia, S.C., at 10:40 p.m. Monday. He caught a ride south, made it to bed at 5 a.m., woke up a couple hours later and–in a game that began 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Nike Peach Jam tournament–scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Team Final’s 60-54 victory over Mean Streets.
“I always play hard. It comes natural to me,” said Gilchrist, who is from Elizabeth, N.J. “I had to play for my team, and for myself. I don’t like losing. I don’t want to lose at all.”
As an added bonus, Gilchrist played against 6-10 Anthony Davis, also seen as one of the top prospects of 2011, and did just fine, all on a few hours of sleep.
John Calipari must be smiling right about now, along with most of Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)