Jul 14, 2010, 2:54 AM EDT
Michael Gilchrist’s doing his best to cement his reputation as the top recruit of 2011. And he’s done it in a matter of days.
The 6-foot-7 forward, who committed to Kentucky in April, helped Team USA win gold in the FIBA U17 World Championships, averaging 15 points per game – in just 19 minutes – and made 65 percent of his shots. His semifinal performance vs. Canada (30 points, 15 boards) was classic.
And he wasn’t finished. The Nike Peach Jam Tournament awaited. From Mike DeCourcy:
Gilchrist landed in Columbia, S.C., at 10:40 p.m. Monday. He caught a ride south, made it to bed at 5 a.m., woke up a couple hours later and–in a game that began 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Nike Peach Jam tournament–scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting in Team Final’s 60-54 victory over Mean Streets.
“I always play hard. It comes natural to me,” said Gilchrist, who is from Elizabeth, N.J. “I had to play for my team, and for myself. I don’t like losing. I don’t want to lose at all.”
As an added bonus, Gilchrist played against 6-10 Anthony Davis, also seen as one of the top prospects of 2011, and did just fine, all on a few hours of sleep.
John Calipari must be smiling right about now, along with most of Big Blue Nation.
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)