Jul 15, 2010, 9:06 PM EDT
Ater Majok’s at Connecticut for the long haul. That’s encouraging for Jim Calhoun’s roster stability because Majok didn’t have a smooth start.
The 6-10 forward – originally from Sudan, but later moved to Australia — spent his first months at UConn on the bench, waiting to see if the NCAA would clear his transcripts. Then he flirted with the NBA. Now, not so much.
“It’s been a crazy road but the road is getting smoother now. I’m here. I’ve got three more seasons ahead of me. I just have to keep working hard,” he told Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant, and added he didn’t envision a scenario where he leave UConn early.
Makes sense. Majok needs the basketball instruction.
He averaged just 2.3 points a game as a freshman and was unable to help the Huskies avoid a largely disappointing season. They finished 18-15 and missed the Big Dance. If they expect to rebound in 2010-11, Majok will have to play a larger role.
“Everything is good,” he told Anothony. “Everything is settled down. I know what’s next. I can relax, work and get ready for the season.”
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)