Jul 15, 2010, 9:06 PM EDT
Ater Majok’s at Connecticut for the long haul. That’s encouraging for Jim Calhoun’s roster stability because Majok didn’t have a smooth start.
The 6-10 forward – originally from Sudan, but later moved to Australia — spent his first months at UConn on the bench, waiting to see if the NCAA would clear his transcripts. Then he flirted with the NBA. Now, not so much.
“It’s been a crazy road but the road is getting smoother now. I’m here. I’ve got three more seasons ahead of me. I just have to keep working hard,” he told Mike Anthony of the Hartford Courant, and added he didn’t envision a scenario where he leave UConn early.
Makes sense. Majok needs the basketball instruction.
He averaged just 2.3 points a game as a freshman and was unable to help the Huskies avoid a largely disappointing season. They finished 18-15 and missed the Big Dance. If they expect to rebound in 2010-11, Majok will have to play a larger role.
“Everything is good,” he told Anothony. “Everything is settled down. I know what’s next. I can relax, work and get ready for the season.”
Mike Miller’s also on Twitter, usually talkin’ hoops. Click here for more.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)