Aug 12, 2010, 2:34 AM EDT
Wanna play for Tom Izzo? Take a number.
Michigan State snagged its fifth verbal commitment in the last 12 days when Bay City, Mich., big man Matt Costello agreed to play for Izzo’s program. That means every MSU roster spot it filled for 2011 and 2012. (And this is after securing a Top 11 class for 2010.)
Izzo’s always had talent, but this is above and beyond, even for him. Spartans beat reporter Joe Rexrode says he’s never seen this many recruits – and high-level ones at that – commit to Michigan State in such a short span.
No kidding. That’s a recruiting bonanza even John Calipari would envy.
Here’s Michigan State’s prospect rundown, profiles and rankings from Rivals.com:
- Kenny Kaminski (committed July 31) is a 6-7, 180-pound wing from Ohio who’s a 2012 prospect.
- Branden Dawson (Aug. 4), is a five-star, 6-6, 200-pound small forward. He’s the prize of MSU’s 2011 class.
- Travis Trice (Aug. 4), a 5-11, 160-pound guard who’ll provide depth I the 2011 group.
- Denzel Valentine (Aug. 9) the 6-5, 205-pound Lansing product is a 2012 prospect who’ll probably be rated as a four-star prospect.
- Matt Costello (Aug. 10), a 6-8, 210-pound forward who’s described as scrappy and a good passing big man. He’s also a 2012 prospect.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (8)