Aug 31, 2010, 2:07 AM EDT
Coaches and school administrators will be monitoring players’ tweets this season in accordance with a new policy in the student athlete handbook, the Raleigh News & Observer reports. For that, you can thank Tar Heels defensive end Marvin Austin (he posted more than 2,400 updates before his account was closed down), though pretty much every school plays Big Brother when it comes to what their athletes put online.
From the handbook: “each team must identify at least one coach or administrator who is responsible for having access to and regularly monitor the content of team members’ social networking sites and postings.”
If anything seems out of line, it’ll be gone and the athlete could be too. That includes “disrespectful comments” and derogatory language; comments that constitute a credible emotional or physical threat; and photos that depict unlawful abuse, hazing, harassment, discrimination, drug possession or use, and any other illegal conduct, according to the paper.
Um, whoa. Have they seen what’s on Twitter and Facebook? School officials and coaches could be pretty busy this year.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 0
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)