Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Charles Barkley’s never been shy about speaking his mind. But he’s outdone himself this time.
The NBA legend admitted on the Dan Patrick Show that he received money from agents while playing at Auburn in the ’80s. And — no surprise — he doesn’t have any regrets about it.
“If a guy wants to borrow money from an agent because he’s poor, what is wrong with that?” Barkley told Patrick. “Nobody can tell me what is wrong with that. I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the 80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. The colleges don’t give us anything. If they give us a pair of sneakers, they get in trouble. Why can’t an agent lend me some money and I’ll pay him back when I graduate?”
The topic came up because Barkley and Patrick were discussing Reggie Bush and his decision this week to return the Heisman Trophy Bush won in 2005. Bush was later found to have received money and other illegal benefits from agents. Barkley offered a simple solution.
“Reggie made one mistake. He should have paid those (agents) back and this whole thing never would have happened,” he told Patrick
It’s no surprise that Barkley, a three-time All-SEC selection and the No. 5 overall pick in the 1984 NBA draft, advocates college athletes should be paid. He doesn’t think it should be massive money, but a stipend for some “walking around money.”
Want more? Listen to the entire interview here.
(H/T: Jeff Eisenberg)
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)