Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
Charles Barkley’s never been shy about speaking his mind. But he’s outdone himself this time.
The NBA legend admitted on the Dan Patrick Show that he received money from agents while playing at Auburn in the ’80s. And — no surprise — he doesn’t have any regrets about it.
“If a guy wants to borrow money from an agent because he’s poor, what is wrong with that?” Barkley told Patrick. “Nobody can tell me what is wrong with that. I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the 80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. The colleges don’t give us anything. If they give us a pair of sneakers, they get in trouble. Why can’t an agent lend me some money and I’ll pay him back when I graduate?”
The topic came up because Barkley and Patrick were discussing Reggie Bush and his decision this week to return the Heisman Trophy Bush won in 2005. Bush was later found to have received money and other illegal benefits from agents. Barkley offered a simple solution.
“Reggie made one mistake. He should have paid those (agents) back and this whole thing never would have happened,” he told Patrick
It’s no surprise that Barkley, a three-time All-SEC selection and the No. 5 overall pick in the 1984 NBA draft, advocates college athletes should be paid. He doesn’t think it should be massive money, but a stipend for some “walking around money.”
Want more? Listen to the entire interview here.
(H/T: Jeff Eisenberg)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)