Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Charles Barkley’s never been shy about speaking his mind. But he’s outdone himself this time.
The NBA legend admitted on the Dan Patrick Show that he received money from agents while playing at Auburn in the ’80s. And — no surprise — he doesn’t have any regrets about it.
“If a guy wants to borrow money from an agent because he’s poor, what is wrong with that?” Barkley told Patrick. “Nobody can tell me what is wrong with that. I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the 80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. The colleges don’t give us anything. If they give us a pair of sneakers, they get in trouble. Why can’t an agent lend me some money and I’ll pay him back when I graduate?”
The topic came up because Barkley and Patrick were discussing Reggie Bush and his decision this week to return the Heisman Trophy Bush won in 2005. Bush was later found to have received money and other illegal benefits from agents. Barkley offered a simple solution.
“Reggie made one mistake. He should have paid those (agents) back and this whole thing never would have happened,” he told Patrick
It’s no surprise that Barkley, a three-time All-SEC selection and the No. 5 overall pick in the 1984 NBA draft, advocates college athletes should be paid. He doesn’t think it should be massive money, but a stipend for some “walking around money.”
Want more? Listen to the entire interview here.
(H/T: Jeff Eisenberg)
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 84
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (84)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)