Sep 17, 2010, 12:50 PM EST
Charles Barkley’s never been shy about speaking his mind. But he’s outdone himself this time.
The NBA legend admitted on the Dan Patrick Show that he received money from agents while playing at Auburn in the ’80s. And — no surprise — he doesn’t have any regrets about it.
“If a guy wants to borrow money from an agent because he’s poor, what is wrong with that?” Barkley told Patrick. “Nobody can tell me what is wrong with that. I got money from agents when I was in college and I went in the 80s. Most of the players I know borrowed money from agents. The colleges don’t give us anything. If they give us a pair of sneakers, they get in trouble. Why can’t an agent lend me some money and I’ll pay him back when I graduate?”
The topic came up because Barkley and Patrick were discussing Reggie Bush and his decision this week to return the Heisman Trophy Bush won in 2005. Bush was later found to have received money and other illegal benefits from agents. Barkley offered a simple solution.
“Reggie made one mistake. He should have paid those (agents) back and this whole thing never would have happened,” he told Patrick
It’s no surprise that Barkley, a three-time All-SEC selection and the No. 5 overall pick in the 1984 NBA draft, advocates college athletes should be paid. He doesn’t think it should be massive money, but a stipend for some “walking around money.”
Want more? Listen to the entire interview here.
(H/T: Jeff Eisenberg)
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)