Oct 13, 2010, 1:10 PM EDT
Baylor’s would-be dream season is turning sour.
Less than a week after star guard LaceDarius Dunn was charged with aggravated assault and suspended indefinitely for an incident involving his girlfriend, FOXSports.com’s Jeff Goodman broke news that the program is being investigated by the NCAA for its involvement in the recruitment of a Colombia high school player.
The NCAA will be in Waco, Texas, later this month to interview coach Scott Drew and his coaching staff, Goodman reported. The school has already self-reported the violations.
Complicating matters is that Baylor just came off probation on June 22 stemming from the Dave Bliss debacle back in 2003. The new violation occurred in late July. Hard to imagine the NCAA’s happy about that.
The new problems stem from the recruitment of Hanner Perea, a junior from Colombia who transferred to an Indiana high school. Baylor assistant Mark Morefield reportedly sent dozen of texts to Perea’s AAU and high school coaches in July while they were coaching events, which is against NCAA rules.
More damming? There was at least one threat involved. From Goodman’s story.
Morefield also sent a text to LaLumiere coach Alan Huss, which was obtained by FOXSports.com, saying that if Perea didn’t go to Baylor, he wouldn’t be back in the United States.
“I guarantee u if he does [commit to another school] he will be in Colombia for the spring and summer and next year. Don’t forget it,” the text said.
Note to Baylor: I wouldn’t rule on Dunn’s suspension until AFTER the NCAA comes to town. Best to take these things one at a time.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger