Oct 14, 2010, 6:46 PM EDT
2009-10 record: 28-8 (11-5), tied for second in Big 12
Lost to Duke in Elite Eight
Coach: Scott Drew, 109-103, 7 years (129-114 overall)
Last NCAA miss: 2008
2010-11 roster [click here]
2010-11 schedule [click here]
The good: If there was such a thing as a team dunk contest, Baylor would it. Easily.
Junior forward Quincy Acy made a D-I best 69.7 percent of his shots, mostly by dunking at every opportunity. Fellow junior Anthony Jones blossomed by season’s end (dunking more helped). And heralded freshman Perry Jones? You guessed it. The kid can jam. Word of advice to opponents: Get out of the way, or get posterized. If that’s not enough, senior guard LaceDarius Dunn led the team in scoring (19.8 ppg) by virtue of hitting 42 percent of his 3s. Added bonus: He’s also a nasty dunker.
The bad: The Bears will miss point guard Tweety Carter, who ran the show the previous three seasons, usually superbly. Sophomore A.J. Walton will likely fill that role in 2010-11, but he lacks Carter’s feel for the game (though he can shoot, making 46 percent of his 3s). When it comes to crunch time, Dunn will have the ball, which could make Baylor one-dimensional when it matters most.
The unknown: Dunn’s playing status, which is a biggie. The 6-4 senior was suspended indefinitely after being charged with aggravated assault for an incident in late September involving his girlfriend. He was just allowed back to class on Thursday by school officials, meaning a short suspension is likely, but there could be more issues if police press charges.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)