Oct 14, 2010, 6:46 PM EDT
2009-10 record: 28-8 (11-5), tied for second in Big 12
Lost to Duke in Elite Eight
Coach: Scott Drew, 109-103, 7 years (129-114 overall)
Last NCAA miss: 2008
2010-11 roster [click here]
2010-11 schedule [click here]
The good: If there was such a thing as a team dunk contest, Baylor would it. Easily.
Junior forward Quincy Acy made a D-I best 69.7 percent of his shots, mostly by dunking at every opportunity. Fellow junior Anthony Jones blossomed by season’s end (dunking more helped). And heralded freshman Perry Jones? You guessed it. The kid can jam. Word of advice to opponents: Get out of the way, or get posterized. If that’s not enough, senior guard LaceDarius Dunn led the team in scoring (19.8 ppg) by virtue of hitting 42 percent of his 3s. Added bonus: He’s also a nasty dunker.
The bad: The Bears will miss point guard Tweety Carter, who ran the show the previous three seasons, usually superbly. Sophomore A.J. Walton will likely fill that role in 2010-11, but he lacks Carter’s feel for the game (though he can shoot, making 46 percent of his 3s). When it comes to crunch time, Dunn will have the ball, which could make Baylor one-dimensional when it matters most.
The unknown: Dunn’s playing status, which is a biggie. The 6-4 senior was suspended indefinitely after being charged with aggravated assault for an incident in late September involving his girlfriend. He was just allowed back to class on Thursday by school officials, meaning a short suspension is likely, but there could be more issues if police press charges.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)