Oct 14, 2010, 6:46 PM EDT
2009-10 record: 28-8 (11-5), tied for second in Big 12
Lost to Duke in Elite Eight
Coach: Scott Drew, 109-103, 7 years (129-114 overall)
Last NCAA miss: 2008
2010-11 roster [click here]
2010-11 schedule [click here]
The good: If there was such a thing as a team dunk contest, Baylor would it. Easily.
Junior forward Quincy Acy made a D-I best 69.7 percent of his shots, mostly by dunking at every opportunity. Fellow junior Anthony Jones blossomed by season’s end (dunking more helped). And heralded freshman Perry Jones? You guessed it. The kid can jam. Word of advice to opponents: Get out of the way, or get posterized. If that’s not enough, senior guard LaceDarius Dunn led the team in scoring (19.8 ppg) by virtue of hitting 42 percent of his 3s. Added bonus: He’s also a nasty dunker.
The bad: The Bears will miss point guard Tweety Carter, who ran the show the previous three seasons, usually superbly. Sophomore A.J. Walton will likely fill that role in 2010-11, but he lacks Carter’s feel for the game (though he can shoot, making 46 percent of his 3s). When it comes to crunch time, Dunn will have the ball, which could make Baylor one-dimensional when it matters most.
The unknown: Dunn’s playing status, which is a biggie. The 6-4 senior was suspended indefinitely after being charged with aggravated assault for an incident in late September involving his girlfriend. He was just allowed back to class on Thursday by school officials, meaning a short suspension is likely, but there could be more issues if police press charges.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015’s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)