Oct 14, 2010, 6:46 PM EDT
2009-10 record: 28-8 (11-5), tied for second in Big 12
Lost to Duke in Elite Eight
Coach: Scott Drew, 109-103, 7 years (129-114 overall)
Last NCAA miss: 2008
2010-11 roster [click here]
2010-11 schedule [click here]
The good: If there was such a thing as a team dunk contest, Baylor would it. Easily.
Junior forward Quincy Acy made a D-I best 69.7 percent of his shots, mostly by dunking at every opportunity. Fellow junior Anthony Jones blossomed by season’s end (dunking more helped). And heralded freshman Perry Jones? You guessed it. The kid can jam. Word of advice to opponents: Get out of the way, or get posterized. If that’s not enough, senior guard LaceDarius Dunn led the team in scoring (19.8 ppg) by virtue of hitting 42 percent of his 3s. Added bonus: He’s also a nasty dunker.
The bad: The Bears will miss point guard Tweety Carter, who ran the show the previous three seasons, usually superbly. Sophomore A.J. Walton will likely fill that role in 2010-11, but he lacks Carter’s feel for the game (though he can shoot, making 46 percent of his 3s). When it comes to crunch time, Dunn will have the ball, which could make Baylor one-dimensional when it matters most.
The unknown: Dunn’s playing status, which is a biggie. The 6-4 senior was suspended indefinitely after being charged with aggravated assault for an incident in late September involving his girlfriend. He was just allowed back to class on Thursday by school officials, meaning a short suspension is likely, but there could be more issues if police press charges.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)