Oct 14, 2010, 7:13 AM EDT
The good: “The Butler Way” should continue thanks to the return of Shelvin Mack, Matt Howard and Ronald Nored. They were three of the key cogs to the Bulldogs’ magical season, all of whom are primed for more in 2011.
Coach Brad Stevens doesn’t bring in top-flight talent, just guys who can hit outside shots, play defense and avoid dumb mistakes. Even if the transition to guys like Zach Hahn, Shawn Vanzant and Andrew Smith isn’t seamless, Stevens’ system ensures the bumps are small.
The bad: There’s nowhere to go but down.
That’s harsh, but it’s what Butler faces during the 2010-11 season. If it doesn’t run away with the Horizon, is that a failure? What if the Bulldogs can’t snag a couple of NCAA tournament wins? Or (gasp!) if they don’t even make it? That’s life after a dream season – expectations take the fun out of everything.
The unknown: Who’s the difference maker? Butler doesn’t play for the title without Gordon Hayward’s game-changing ability. Mack and Howard are good, but can’t take over a game, which means the Bulldogs have no room for error when they face elite teams.
Not that the Bulldogs mind.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona