Oct 16, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
Robbie Hummel’s knee didn’t even last one practice.
Purdue’s senior forward – who tore the ACL in his right knee last February – re-injured his knee Saturday during the team’s first practice of the season. He’ll miss the entire season.
“This is obviously disappointing for Robbie, as well as our team, since he worked so hard to return from the tear he suffered in February,” Purdue head coach Matt Painter told PurdueSports.com. “As he begins his rehab and recovery, we’ll persevere together and provide Robbie with all the support possible. I have no doubt he’ll continue to play a pivotal role this season as a leader of our team.”
According to FOXSports.com, Hummel was wearing a brace on the knee when he collapsed during the second drill of practice.
It’s a huge blow to Purdue, the No. 3 team in our preseason Top 25. Hummel and fellow seniors E’Twaun Moore and JaJaun Johnson were slated to help the Boilermakers contend for the Big Ten title and the school’s first Final Four berth since 1980.
Without Hummel, Purdue will still be a Top 25 team, but must be considered a Final Four darkhorse at best. It was 24-3 and ranked No. 3 when he hurt his knee last season and still reached the Sweet 16.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)