Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 AM EDT
For the time being, Kansas is experimenting with small ball.
Markieff Morris (hernia surgery) and Jeff Withey (broken foot), the Jayhawks’ two tallest players, are nursing injuries and won’t be back until early November. But it’s not a bad thing. Kansas looks “more skilled than in the past” and is fast enough to compensate for any height issues.
“It’s a different team than I’ve had to coach the last couple years. I really think we’re fast,” coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World. “We throw it all over the place, but are fast, something fun to coach.”
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. Think last season, but with more turnovers. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
He’s talking about defense. And that should be a warning to opposing teams.
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
“I think we try hard. I think we’re fast. I think we’re fairly competitive. I don’t know if the competitive juices are to the point I’d like them to be,” he said. “I think we’re pretty deep. I don’t know who our best players are. That could be a good thing. It adds to our practices daily. This is a less margin for error team, but a team that has a chance to be good.”
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)