Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 AM EDT
For the time being, Kansas is experimenting with small ball.
Markieff Morris (hernia surgery) and Jeff Withey (broken foot), the Jayhawks’ two tallest players, are nursing injuries and won’t be back until early November. But it’s not a bad thing. Kansas looks “more skilled than in the past” and is fast enough to compensate for any height issues.
“It’s a different team than I’ve had to coach the last couple years. I really think we’re fast,” coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World. “We throw it all over the place, but are fast, something fun to coach.”
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. Think last season, but with more turnovers. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
He’s talking about defense. And that should be a warning to opposing teams.
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
“I think we try hard. I think we’re fast. I think we’re fairly competitive. I don’t know if the competitive juices are to the point I’d like them to be,” he said. “I think we’re pretty deep. I don’t know who our best players are. That could be a good thing. It adds to our practices daily. This is a less margin for error team, but a team that has a chance to be good.”
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)