Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 AM EDT
For the time being, Kansas is experimenting with small ball.
Markieff Morris (hernia surgery) and Jeff Withey (broken foot), the Jayhawks’ two tallest players, are nursing injuries and won’t be back until early November. But it’s not a bad thing. Kansas looks “more skilled than in the past” and is fast enough to compensate for any height issues.
“It’s a different team than I’ve had to coach the last couple years. I really think we’re fast,” coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World. “We throw it all over the place, but are fast, something fun to coach.”
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. Think last season, but with more turnovers. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
He’s talking about defense. And that should be a warning to opposing teams.
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
“I think we try hard. I think we’re fast. I think we’re fairly competitive. I don’t know if the competitive juices are to the point I’d like them to be,” he said. “I think we’re pretty deep. I don’t know who our best players are. That could be a good thing. It adds to our practices daily. This is a less margin for error team, but a team that has a chance to be good.”
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)