Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 AM EST
For the time being, Kansas is experimenting with small ball.
Markieff Morris (hernia surgery) and Jeff Withey (broken foot), the Jayhawks’ two tallest players, are nursing injuries and won’t be back until early November. But it’s not a bad thing. Kansas looks “more skilled than in the past” and is fast enough to compensate for any height issues.
“It’s a different team than I’ve had to coach the last couple years. I really think we’re fast,” coach Bill Self told the Lawrence Journal-World. “We throw it all over the place, but are fast, something fun to coach.”
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. Think last season, but with more turnovers. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
He’s talking about defense. And that should be a warning to opposing teams.
If Kansas is fast and aggressive on defense, that’s Self’s dream. He wants an aggressive, nasty defense that makes life miserable for foes. He’s not entirely sure how good that defense is yet, but it’s not even November yet. Give it a few months.
“I think we try hard. I think we’re fast. I think we’re fairly competitive. I don’t know if the competitive juices are to the point I’d like them to be,” he said. “I think we’re pretty deep. I don’t know who our best players are. That could be a good thing. It adds to our practices daily. This is a less margin for error team, but a team that has a chance to be good.”
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 1
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)