Nov 1, 2010, 4:50 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony averaged 22 points and 10 boards in his one season at Syracuse, leading the Orange to the 2003 national title. But he wasn’t an AP Preseason All-American.
Neither was Greg Oden. Or Kevin Durant. Or Michael Beasley, John Wall, and any other freshman to ever play college basketball.
Maybe I’m not being clear. A freshman has never been an AP Preseason All-American until today, as North Carolina freshman small forward Harrison Barnes made the cut. Here’s the team (with the number of votes, out of 67, that they received):
- Kyle Singler, Duke, Sr. (65)
- Jacob Pullen, Kansas State, Sr. (53)
- Jimmer Fredette, BYU, Sr. (49)
- JaJuan Johnson, Purdue, Sr. (46)
- Harrison Barnes, UNC, Fr. (17)
That’s high praise for Barnes, who was also picked by Gary Parrish to be the national player of the year, as he was selected over talents like Nolan Smith, LaceDarius Dunn, Shelvin Mack, and Elias Harris.
Keep in mind, preseason all-americans don’t always become postseason all-americans. Look at last year’s team: Sherron Collins, Kyle Singler, Patrick Patterson, Luke Harangody, and Cole Aldrich.
Were any of them first-team all-americans at season’s end? (Hint: no.)
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy