Nov 4, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
File this under “things I must watch.”
On the night before the
NCAA Tournament starts, HBO will be airing a documentary on the UNLV
Runnin’ Rebels program under the watch of Jerry Tarkanian. Tark was in
Vegas for 18 years, building a program that, in the early 90′s, was one
of the most exciting teams, at any level, to watch in the history of
From their emailed press release:
Sports has begun production on RUNNIN’ REBELS OF UNLV, a documentary
about the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels men’s basketball team and their
controversial coach, Jerry Tarkanian, it was announced today by Ross
Greenburg, president, HBO Sports. Debuting in 2011 on the eve of
college basketball’s March Madness, the exclusive HBO presentation
revisits the period from 1973 to 1992, when the Runnin’ Rebels embodied
the brash, swaggering spirit of Las Vegas and the notion that winning
and winning big was all that mattered.
My fellow lowly blogger Matt Norlander makes a great point — UNLV was like basketball’s version of The U.
The Runnin’ Rebels were just so much better than everyone, and they
weren’t afraid to let you know it after tuning you up by 40 points.
Throw in the recruiting scandals, the betting scandals, and the fact
that this program was located in Vegas, and UNLV was that team you
loved to hate. That team that you simply couldn’t turn away from.
Yeah, I’m excited for this documentary. You should be too.
Here’s to hoping they get everyone — Tark, Larry Johnson, Stacey Augmon, Greg Anthony, everyone — involved in its production.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte