Dec 2, 2010, 5:37 PM EDT
If there’s a program suited for all-black uniforms, it’s UNLV. Well, at least old school UNLV.
Jerry Tarkanian could’ve grown that outlaw image by leaps and bounds with a few outings in black unis. Not to mention selling more than a few jerseys. Can you imagine how many Larry Johnson and Stacey Augmon jerseys would’ve been sold in the early ‘90s? It’d been the Fab Five clothing revolution before the Fab Five did it.
But a “curse” scared off coaches for at least the last decade, maybe more. Here’s a tidbit from Las Vegas Sun reporter Ryan Greene:
… the last time the Rebels donned ‘em was in 1999 for a non-conference game against North Carolina. He recalled it as a shellacking, with UNLV – who in some opinions was a preseason Top 25 team that year – falling on the short end. He added that in that game, prized junior college recruit Kenny Dye suffered a shoulder injury that, in effect, took away his UNLV career.
One last black uniform history nugget from Joe: He said that the long-standing rumor is that the team was supposed to wear them in the 1991 title game had it advanced past Duke. So, there’s that.
Well, the black jerseys are back. And they’re baaaaad. UNLV drilled Illinois State 82-51 Wednesday night, which ended any talk of curses, jinxes, bad mojo, hexes or any other bad luck superstition. In fact, sounds like they might get into the regular rotatation.
“It’s something different. You don’t really see too many schools with all black uniforms,” sophomore guard Anthony Marshall told Greene. “If we would have lost tonight, we probably wouldn’t have worn them again, so we’re happy to get the win with them so we can continue to wear them.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants