Dec 12, 2010, 9:53 PM EDT
An occasional feature where we compile quotes from the weekend’s meaningful games. Read on and enjoy.
“It’s better to win on the road, especially in hostile environments against a Top 10 team. You shut the crowd up.”
- Tennessee’s Cameron Tatum on the Vols’ 83-78 road win at No. 3 Pitt.
“My assistant said we had four freshmen in and an walk-on — that’s not a good mix to come into this situation.”
– Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus, lamenting his team’s 84-47 loss to No. 1 Duke.
“The future can be this year.”
– Louisville coach Rick Pitino, whose team improved to 8-0 after a 77-69 win against No. 20 UNLV. Pitino said before the season that the 2010-11 season might be a “bridge” to next year.
“We were awful. Let that be your headlines.”
– Kansas coach Bill Self. His Jayhawks improved to 9-0 for the second straight year after a 76-55 win.
“Villanova is the gold standard of the Big 5 right now and you only play them once a year. We don’t get them again. It’s a one-time shot against the 12th-ranked team in the country and, frankly, I feel like we blew it.
– La Salle coach John Giannini, after an 84-81 loss to the Wildcats.
“My opening statement will sound a little strange for a team that is somewhere in the top 50. I thought we played awfully well.”
– Michigan State coach Tom Izzo, who watched his Spartans beat Oakland (Mich.) 77-76..
“That’s a good sign. That means we can play poorly offensively and still win.”
– Kentucky coach John Calipari on his team’s 36-percent shooting performance during an 81-62 win over Indiana.
“I tried to make a play. But time was running out. I looked up and there was a second and a half left. If I passed it, my teammate wouldn’t have got off a shot.”
– Washington point guard Isaiah Thomas. Thomas had six turnovers and his last-second 3-pointer blocked during a 63-62 loss to Texas A&M.
“They were stuck on 25 there for a long time.”
– Minnesota’s Blake Hoffarber. The Gophers kept Eastern Kentucky scoreless during a 17-minute stretch of their 71-58 win.
“It’s been a tough year. We haven’t had a game like this. I’m happy to get one of them.”
– Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. The No. 8 Orange beat Colgate 100-43.
“I’m embarrassed for my school, I’m embarrassed for our fans, I’m embarrassed for anyone who’s ever worn the Wake Forest jersey.”
– Wake forest coach Jeff Bzdelik, whose team dropped to 4-4 after a loss to UNC-Wilmington.
“I knew things changed when I walked to the game and I saw somebody out with a sign, ‘I need tickets. I knew we were doing something special here. We’re enjoying this ride and it’s going to be a good one.”
– San Diego State’s D.J. Gay, on the sudden fan interest in SDSU. The Aztecs are 10-0 for the first time in school history.
“My game has never been just to go out there and score 30 points, just score, score, score … But if I feel like I can score at times when we need a bucket.”
– North Carolina guard Larry Drew II on his season-high 13 points in a 96-91 win over Long Beach State.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights