Dec 13, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
Rick Pitino will reportedly coach the Puerto Rico national team.
Who saw that coming? Anyone? Anyone?
Louisville’s coach has agreed to coach the country in its effort to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics, according to FIBA America. (If your prefer your tweeted news in Spanish, they’ve got you covered.)
The deal will reportedly be announced sometime this week.
Why would Pitino, 58, take on a challenge like this when Louisville’s primed for big things in 2011-12. The Cardinals are off to an 8-0 start this season and have a dynamic freshmen class arriving next year. Why mess with a good thing?
It’s an effort to continue that good thing. From Inside Puerto Rico Basketball:
We have all seen what coaching an Olympic Team has done for Duke and Coach K. There is no much talent outside of the USA and with 10 current players from the Caribbean in the NBA this part of the world is rich in talent and could be a recruiting gold mine for us.”
Makes sense. Couldn’t hurt to avoid Louisville in the summer, either.
(Thanks, Kentucky Sports Radio)
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)