Dec 15, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
The college hoops slate is light for the next few weeks. How does one cope?
With the ACC’s new video vault.
Much like the video archive released by the NCAA last spring, you can watch highlights for any team and player dating back to 1983. You got a hankerin’ for Jerry Stackhouse? It’s there. Len Bias? Done. Bobby Hurley to Christian Laettner? No sweat.
Me? I’m gonna dial up Randolph Childress. And not just any Childress highlight.
Jeff McInnis knows the one.
Childress’ otherworldly performance during the Deacons’ run to the 1995 ACC tournament title – 107 points in three games, including 37 in the 82-80 victory against UNC that clinched the trophy – should’ve been enough to propel him into ACC lore. If not, the crossover did.
Make that THE crossover.
Midway through the first half, Childress had McInnis guarding him on the wing when Childress did a quick crossover to his left. McInnis lost his footing and fell to the ground. So Childress spotted up for a 3-pointer, which he buried. If it sounds like a routine play, that’s because I failed to mention that Childress stopped, looked at the fallen McInnis and extended his hand and made a “come here” motion with hand.
The stones on that guy. Loved it. My buddy Alec and I spent the new few months in gym class replaying that move. (We took turns being Childress.) After a few turns, it kept getting more and more exaggerated and the shot got further behind the arc. By May, I think we’d elevated Childress’ move into a triple crossover capped by a 30-foot bomb.
The only bad part? For years, you couldn’t find that move anywhere. Nobody referenced it and it wasn’t on YouTube. It’s like the ACC Vault will give me back one of my cherished teenage memories.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go watch the real thing. Again and again.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)