Dec 15, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
The college hoops slate is light for the next few weeks. How does one cope?
With the ACC’s new video vault.
Much like the video archive released by the NCAA last spring, you can watch highlights for any team and player dating back to 1983. You got a hankerin’ for Jerry Stackhouse? It’s there. Len Bias? Done. Bobby Hurley to Christian Laettner? No sweat.
Me? I’m gonna dial up Randolph Childress. And not just any Childress highlight.
Jeff McInnis knows the one.
Childress’ otherworldly performance during the Deacons’ run to the 1995 ACC tournament title – 107 points in three games, including 37 in the 82-80 victory against UNC that clinched the trophy – should’ve been enough to propel him into ACC lore. If not, the crossover did.
Make that THE crossover.
Midway through the first half, Childress had McInnis guarding him on the wing when Childress did a quick crossover to his left. McInnis lost his footing and fell to the ground. So Childress spotted up for a 3-pointer, which he buried. If it sounds like a routine play, that’s because I failed to mention that Childress stopped, looked at the fallen McInnis and extended his hand and made a “come here” motion with hand.
The stones on that guy. Loved it. My buddy Alec and I spent the new few months in gym class replaying that move. (We took turns being Childress.) After a few turns, it kept getting more and more exaggerated and the shot got further behind the arc. By May, I think we’d elevated Childress’ move into a triple crossover capped by a 30-foot bomb.
The only bad part? For years, you couldn’t find that move anywhere. Nobody referenced it and it wasn’t on YouTube. It’s like the ACC Vault will give me back one of my cherished teenage memories.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna go watch the real thing. Again and again.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (26)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)