Dec 16, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski says it’ll be a “long time” before Kyrie Irving’s returns to Duke’s lineup.
It’s an ominous statement for Blue Devils fans, but nebulous for the rest of us. What does “a long time” mean, exactly? Weeks? Months? The rest of the season? My guess would be by Jan. 12, just in time for a trip to Florida State. (And if you can take anything from Irving’s tweets, he sounds more and more optimistic every day.)
Coach K refused to elaborate any further when he appeared on his HM Radio show Wednesday, mostly because a number of specialists are still meeting and planning Irving’s rehabilitation and recovery, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.
So we’ll wait. No. 1 Duke (10-0) will continue to play without the freshman point guard, who was averaging 17.4 points a game before injuring the big toe on his right foot.
And despite any concerns about winning back-to-back NCAA tournament titles, the Devils insist they won’t rush Irving back into action.
“He’s 18 years old,” assistant coach Chris Collins told the paper. “He’s going to play basketball for a long, long time. We have to think about his health and what’s going to be best for him in the long term.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)