Dec 19, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT
It’s UConn’s world. Everyone else in women’s hoops is just playing for second place.
Been that way since 2008, when Geno Auriemma’s team began this 88-game win streak. They’ve ripped off two straight undefeated seasons and have started another 10-0 after an 81-50 win against No. 11 Ohio State.
Not that Aureimma wants to talk about it.
“The number’s the number. I don’t know if that changes me a whole lot right now,” Auriemma said. “I’m going to go to a good restaurant tonight. I’m going to have a good bottle of wine. I would have done that either way.”
On the other hand, his players did enjoy the latest win.
“It’s kind of mind-boggling,” senior All-American Maya Moore said. “It’s something special, but we’re still in the middle of our season. You can’t take in the full reality of what’s going on. Moments like this you can sit and appreciate where you’ve come from.”
A victory Tuesday vs. No. 15 Florida State would ensure UConn surpasses UCLA’s record streak – and allow the Huskies to stand alone whether you’re talking men or women. Best a mark from John Wooden’s Bruins? That’s unfathomable.
But that’s what UConn’s doing. And doing in style. Consider:
- The Huskies have beaten ranked teams 30 times during the streak – by an average of 25 points.
- Sixteen of those wins have come against Top 10 teams. UCLA beat 12 Top 10 teams during its run.
- Only two teams have come within single digits of UConn during the streak.
- The Huskies have trailed a total of 134 minutes in 88 games.
These Huskies are so good, even the great ones are amazed.
“They play with great sense of team, great purpose, phenomenal execution of fundamentals, relentless attack,” UCLA legend Bill Walton told the AP. “It is what every team should aspire to, regardless of the sport.”
Walton should know. He was the Bruins’ starting center during their 88-game run. They were near unstoppable back then. Just like UConn today.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games