Dec 23, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
Kamil Gawrzydek isn’t a character out of Lord of the Rings or a Neil Gaiman book. But I’m certain he has magic powers.
How else to explain this free throw he shot during Tuesday night’s 71-48 loss at Utah State?
How long does the ball stay on the rim? Two seconds? Three? Seems like an eternity. A better question: How does that happen?(Magic powers notwithstanding.)
That’s where John Fontanella, a physics professor at the U.S. Naval Academy and author of the book, “The Physics of Basketball,” comes in. Here’s his response to Jeff Eisenberg of The Dagger:
“There’s absolutely no reason the ball couldn’t actually do that if all the conditions were right because you have two round surfaces. As long as the middle of the ball is directly above the middle of the rim, theoretically it can stay there as long as it likes until it’s disturbed by something. Maybe the conditions were just right.”
Try perfect. Fontanella noted that a sticky substance on the ball or a vent blowing straight down on it may have helped it stay on the rim. What are the odds of it actually happening?
“A chance in a million, I guess,” Fontanella told Eisenberg. “It’s like it rolled up to the top of a hill and just sat there. Eventually there was just enough of a disturbance, somebody stomped on the floor or a fan did something to shake it off the top.”
I’m still not ruling out magic.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona