Dec 23, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Wednesday was upsetting for more than a few BCS-conference teams. Eight teams scored Red Line Upsets.
Here’s the list:
- Cleveland State 69, South Florida 62
- Dayton 69, Seton Hall 65
- Furman 91, South Carolina 75
- North Texas 75, LSU 55
- Northern Iowa 67, Indiana 61
- New Mexico 89, Colorado 76
- Seattle 59, Virginia 53
- Siena 62, Georgia Tech 57
Wins by Cleveland State and New Mexico weren’t huge surprises as both were favored to win those games. The Siena-Georgia Tech game was a coin flip (Paul Hewitt wishes it would’ve gone differently). But after those, the non-BCS teams should take a bow.
Northern Iowa scored a neutral court win against an improving Hoosiers squad. Dayton won at Seton Hall (any road win is a good one). Both are solid upsets.
But the other three? Yeesh. I’m embarrassed for them.
LSU lost by 20 at home. The Tigers didn’t get blown out at the end, either. The Mean Green led by 16 at halftime. Same for South Carolina, which was a heavy favorite against Furman, but trailed for most of the game. It got ugly at the end when S.C. center Sam Muldrow fouled out.
And Virginia. Oh, Virginia.
You lost. At home. As a double-digit favorite and a 96 percent chance to win the game.
(Wags finger again.)
Consider it a continuation of Tuesday’s games. IN the last two days, 19 BCS schools have suffered RLUs. Jeff Borzello added up the records: ACC, 8-3; Big East, 11-2; Big 12, 10-2; Big Ten, 3-5; Pac-10, 7-3; SEC, 8-4.
For those keeping track, that’s 100 RLUs this season. They’ll start to slow down a bit now that we’re into conference play, which is probably a good thing for BCS schools.
Well, at least for those school’s egos.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity