Dec 28, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
Jeremy Hazell, Seton Hall’s star scoring guard that was shot over Christmas, gave the New York Daily News an exclusive interview recapping the night’s events.
Hazell, 24, says he was walking home from a friend’s Christmas party when the robbers approached.
“I just got to the front door of my building when these four dudes came up to me,” said Hazell, who has been sidelined since breaking a bone in his left wrist in a game last month.
“One of them had a hand in his pocket and told me to sit down on this bench. I didn’t want to, and he said if I didn’t he was going to shoot me.”
Hazell said he pushed the robber in the chest – and made a real-life fast break.
He said he heard the thug squeeze off four shots as he bolted toward E. 105th St.
One of the slugs penetrated his side, just below his armpit, and then exited his body.
Hazell said that when he got to the corner of E. 105th St. and Park Ave., he flagged down a passing FDNY ambulance.
Needless to say, Hazell is lucky to be alive.
But he’s also got some stones on him. Four guys approached him, one had a gun, and demanded he sit down. Instead of cooperating, Hazell pushed the guy away and took off running? If that’s me, I’m throwing wallets, keys, phones, even my shoes at the guy before curling up in a ball and crying right there on the sidewalk.
If there is a silver lining here, its that Hazell is already out with a broken wrist. The shooting likely won’t cost him any playing time.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights