Dec 28, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
Jeremy Hazell, Seton Hall’s star scoring guard that was shot over Christmas, gave the New York Daily News an exclusive interview recapping the night’s events.
Hazell, 24, says he was walking home from a friend’s Christmas party when the robbers approached.
“I just got to the front door of my building when these four dudes came up to me,” said Hazell, who has been sidelined since breaking a bone in his left wrist in a game last month.
“One of them had a hand in his pocket and told me to sit down on this bench. I didn’t want to, and he said if I didn’t he was going to shoot me.”
Hazell said he pushed the robber in the chest – and made a real-life fast break.
He said he heard the thug squeeze off four shots as he bolted toward E. 105th St.
One of the slugs penetrated his side, just below his armpit, and then exited his body.
Hazell said that when he got to the corner of E. 105th St. and Park Ave., he flagged down a passing FDNY ambulance.
Needless to say, Hazell is lucky to be alive.
But he’s also got some stones on him. Four guys approached him, one had a gun, and demanded he sit down. Instead of cooperating, Hazell pushed the guy away and took off running? If that’s me, I’m throwing wallets, keys, phones, even my shoes at the guy before curling up in a ball and crying right there on the sidewalk.
If there is a silver lining here, its that Hazell is already out with a broken wrist. The shooting likely won’t cost him any playing time.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT