Dec 30, 2010, 8:40 AM EDT
One of the most impressive parts about Louisville’s start to the season has been that they have done it without Jared Swopshire, who was supposed to be a starter for this team, who has been out with a groin injury.
Hopefully, the Cardinals have gotten used to playing without him, because it looks like he will is out for the rest of the season.
“He’s probably going to be done for the year,” Louisville coach Rick Pitino told FOXSports.com on Wednesday morning. “He’s going to get a second opinion, but it looks like he’s going to need surgery.”
“I’m worried about this long term. There’s been no improvement and it could be career-threatening.”
Swopshire would have been a nice piece to add to the mix had he been able to get himself healthy. An athletic, 6’8″ combo-forward, Swopshire is a guy that would have fit in perfectly with Louisville’s faster pace and high-pressure defense.
The silver lining here is that Swopshire will be allowed to take a medical redshirt if he is unable to return this season. That means that he will still have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
Its a tough break from Swopshire, there is no doubt about that.
But if this injury is truly career-threatening, then he is better off taking the year to get healthy.
There is no sense in risking permanent injury for one season of college hoops.
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights