Jan 3, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Donnie Jones certainly looks smart for making the jump from Marshall to Central Florida back in April.
We said the same thing back in August, actually. That was right after Jones had finished signing three high-major transfers — Tristan Spurlock from Virginia, Josh Crittle from Oregon, and Jeffery Jordan from Illinois — as well as Rod Days, a top 100 recruit in the class of 2011.
Things got better as the calender changed.
Jones landed a commitment on New Year’s Eve from the No. 4 center in the class of 2011, Michael Chandler.
Its a steal for Jones, there is no question about that, but its one that a lot of people may have been able to see coming. Central Florida is the third school that Chandler has committed too. He originally verballed to Louisville before backing out on that pledge back in May. In October, he announced his intentions to go to Xavier, a commitment that lasted all of three weeks. A possible reason for all this indecision is academics. There is speculation that Chandler will have a difficult time getting the necessary test scores to become eligible.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?
Regardless, he is now headed to UCF, meaning that the crop of talent Jones has joining his program next season would be impressive for BCS conference school. What’s that say about the job Jones has done with a middling Conference USA program?
The scariest part?
UCF is ranked this year. They are undefeated in January. The two stars — Marcus Jordan and Keith Clanton, who both average 16 ppg — are sophomores.
This was supposed to happen next season, not this season.
And the Knights just beat Georgia in the Liberty Bowl?
Someone’s making a push for Big East membership.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 0
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)