Jan 3, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Donnie Jones certainly looks smart for making the jump from Marshall to Central Florida back in April.
We said the same thing back in August, actually. That was right after Jones had finished signing three high-major transfers — Tristan Spurlock from Virginia, Josh Crittle from Oregon, and Jeffery Jordan from Illinois — as well as Rod Days, a top 100 recruit in the class of 2011.
Things got better as the calender changed.
Jones landed a commitment on New Year’s Eve from the No. 4 center in the class of 2011, Michael Chandler.
Its a steal for Jones, there is no question about that, but its one that a lot of people may have been able to see coming. Central Florida is the third school that Chandler has committed too. He originally verballed to Louisville before backing out on that pledge back in May. In October, he announced his intentions to go to Xavier, a commitment that lasted all of three weeks. A possible reason for all this indecision is academics. There is speculation that Chandler will have a difficult time getting the necessary test scores to become eligible.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?
Regardless, he is now headed to UCF, meaning that the crop of talent Jones has joining his program next season would be impressive for BCS conference school. What’s that say about the job Jones has done with a middling Conference USA program?
The scariest part?
UCF is ranked this year. They are undefeated in January. The two stars — Marcus Jordan and Keith Clanton, who both average 16 ppg — are sophomores.
This was supposed to happen next season, not this season.
And the Knights just beat Georgia in the Liberty Bowl?
Someone’s making a push for Big East membership.
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)