Jan 3, 2011, 11:07 PM EST
Think twice about hopping on board that St. John’s bandwagon. It’s gonna be a bumpy ride.
That’s a not a Johnnies dis, either. The Red Storm (10-3) earned their 61-58 win against No. 13 Georgetown on Monday night by being disciplined on offense (just four turnovers), aggressive on defense (the Hoyas’ Big 3 of Austin Freeman, Jason Clark and Chris Wright combined to shoot 7 of 25) and poised in the clutch (props to Dwight Hardy and Justin Brownlee).
They’ve now won five straight and are off to their best start since 1999-2000. It’s almost enough to make Steve Lavin forget about back-to-back losses to St. Bonaventure and Fordham last month. Almost.
St. John’s coach probably wishes a few more of those would pop up on the schedule. Here’s what the rest of the Johnnies’ January looks like:
Jan 8: at Notre Dame
Jan. 12: vs. Syracuse
Jan. 16: vs. Notre Dane
Jan. 19: at Louisville
Jan. 22: vs. Cincinnati
Jan. 26: at Georgetown
Jan. 30: at Duke
Combined records of those teams? 77-7. All of ‘em except the Cardinals are ranked. If St. John’s comes out of that stretch with only four losses, consider it a small miracle.
And then get Rick Pitino on the phone and ask him who he thinks will win the Big East next season.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)