Jan 11, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Louisville’s been just fine without Jared Swopshire this season. Good thing, too. He’s officially done for 2010-11.
”He’s definitely out for the season,” coach Rick Pitino said Tuesday. ”It’s just a question now — what they’re going to determine is whether he needs surgery or not. In all likelihood he’ll need surgery because he’s not getting any better.”
When the 6-8, 215-pound junior injured his groin abductor this summer, he was originally targeted to be healthy in time for the season opener. But that slowly morphed into a mid-December return, then mid-January.
And now, nada. No word if he’ll redshirt.
As for the Cardinals, they’ll miss the combo forward, whose game is ideal for their up-tempo style. But they’re 13-2 and headed for a Top 6 finish in the Big East. I’d say they can handle his absence.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)