Jan 12, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
Check out this college hoops slate: Fifteen ranked teams, including all five unbeatens play, there are two matchups between ranked teams and another excellent Missouri Valley showdown.
So make sure you ignore the Maryland-Wake Forest game. It won’t be much of one.
That’s to be expected of a team that’s lost to Stetson, Winthrop, UNC Wilmington and Presbyterian. Now that’s ACC play has begun – even in a wretched ACC like this season’s version – things may very well get worse.
“It’s not going to get any easier,” sophomore forward Ari Stewart told Brett Friedlander of ACC Insider. “No disrespect to N.C. State, but I think when we play Duke it’s really going to be crazy. I don’t know what to say.”
Those poor Demon Deacons. At this rate, they’re gonna go down as one of the worst teams in ACC history – and probably the worst of the last 20 years.
Here’s a list of the ACC’s worst teams, as compiled by Friedlander.
1954-55 Clemson 0-14 ACC (3-23 overall)
1980-81 Georgia Tech 0-14 (4-23)
1953-54 Clemson 0-9 (5-18)
1985-86 Wake Forest 0-14 (8-21)
1986-87 Maryland 0-14 (9-17)
1959-60 Virginia 1-13 (6-18)
1979-80 Georgia Tech 1-13 (8-18)
1988-89 Maryland 1-13 (9-20)
1955-56 Clemson 1-13 (9-17)
At 7-9 overall and 0-1 in ACC play, Wake’s a ways from matching these depths, though it’s not unfathomable. Kenpom.com currently has Wake projected to a 9-22 overall record, and 2-14 in the ACC. But you’ll notice that they’re not going to be favored in any game left on the schedule, including home contests against Virginia and Georgia Tech, the conference’s other two dogs.
Lose those two, and Jeff Bzdelik’s first season in Winston-Salem will go down as an all-timer. But not one he’ll want to remember.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)