Jan 12, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
Check out this college hoops slate: Fifteen ranked teams, including all five unbeatens play, there are two matchups between ranked teams and another excellent Missouri Valley showdown.
So make sure you ignore the Maryland-Wake Forest game. It won’t be much of one.
That’s to be expected of a team that’s lost to Stetson, Winthrop, UNC Wilmington and Presbyterian. Now that’s ACC play has begun – even in a wretched ACC like this season’s version – things may very well get worse.
“It’s not going to get any easier,” sophomore forward Ari Stewart told Brett Friedlander of ACC Insider. “No disrespect to N.C. State, but I think when we play Duke it’s really going to be crazy. I don’t know what to say.”
Those poor Demon Deacons. At this rate, they’re gonna go down as one of the worst teams in ACC history – and probably the worst of the last 20 years.
Here’s a list of the ACC’s worst teams, as compiled by Friedlander.
1954-55 Clemson 0-14 ACC (3-23 overall)
1980-81 Georgia Tech 0-14 (4-23)
1953-54 Clemson 0-9 (5-18)
1985-86 Wake Forest 0-14 (8-21)
1986-87 Maryland 0-14 (9-17)
1959-60 Virginia 1-13 (6-18)
1979-80 Georgia Tech 1-13 (8-18)
1988-89 Maryland 1-13 (9-20)
1955-56 Clemson 1-13 (9-17)
At 7-9 overall and 0-1 in ACC play, Wake’s a ways from matching these depths, though it’s not unfathomable. Kenpom.com currently has Wake projected to a 9-22 overall record, and 2-14 in the ACC. But you’ll notice that they’re not going to be favored in any game left on the schedule, including home contests against Virginia and Georgia Tech, the conference’s other two dogs.
Lose those two, and Jeff Bzdelik’s first season in Winston-Salem will go down as an all-timer. But not one he’ll want to remember.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)