Jan 12, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
Check out this college hoops slate: Fifteen ranked teams, including all five unbeatens play, there are two matchups between ranked teams and another excellent Missouri Valley showdown.
So make sure you ignore the Maryland-Wake Forest game. It won’t be much of one.
That’s to be expected of a team that’s lost to Stetson, Winthrop, UNC Wilmington and Presbyterian. Now that’s ACC play has begun – even in a wretched ACC like this season’s version – things may very well get worse.
“It’s not going to get any easier,” sophomore forward Ari Stewart told Brett Friedlander of ACC Insider. “No disrespect to N.C. State, but I think when we play Duke it’s really going to be crazy. I don’t know what to say.”
Those poor Demon Deacons. At this rate, they’re gonna go down as one of the worst teams in ACC history – and probably the worst of the last 20 years.
Here’s a list of the ACC’s worst teams, as compiled by Friedlander.
1954-55 Clemson 0-14 ACC (3-23 overall)
1980-81 Georgia Tech 0-14 (4-23)
1953-54 Clemson 0-9 (5-18)
1985-86 Wake Forest 0-14 (8-21)
1986-87 Maryland 0-14 (9-17)
1959-60 Virginia 1-13 (6-18)
1979-80 Georgia Tech 1-13 (8-18)
1988-89 Maryland 1-13 (9-20)
1955-56 Clemson 1-13 (9-17)
At 7-9 overall and 0-1 in ACC play, Wake’s a ways from matching these depths, though it’s not unfathomable. Kenpom.com currently has Wake projected to a 9-22 overall record, and 2-14 in the ACC. But you’ll notice that they’re not going to be favored in any game left on the schedule, including home contests against Virginia and Georgia Tech, the conference’s other two dogs.
Lose those two, and Jeff Bzdelik’s first season in Winston-Salem will go down as an all-timer. But not one he’ll want to remember.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @BeyndArcMMiller.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 31
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (31)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (8)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)