Jan 16, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
Too bad they can’t delay the AP and coaches’ polls a day. Might have a different No. 1.
Ohio State (18-0) is certain to take the top spot for the 31st time in school history, mostly because they’ve been No. 2 behind Duke for the last seven weeks. Now that the Devils lost to FSU (and Buckeyes won Saturday), they’ll get the nod.
But should they?
Their last three games have been uninspiring wins. Minnesota by three at home. Michigan by four on the road. Penn State by three at home. Hardly the stuff of No. 1. Not that Ohio State cares.
“Honestly as a team, we didn’t even say anything about it after the game,” freshman Jared Sullinger said Saturday. “All of our focus is on our next game on Wednesday.”
Don’t misunderstand. Ohio State’s fabulous. They’re one of the few elite teams today. I just wish we could wait a day before crowning them the new No. 1.
The Jayhawks (17-0) have been No. 3 for weeks and have arguably as good of a résumé as the Buckeyes. If they win convincingly at Baylor on Monday, they might be considered more worthy.
(“More worthy” in this case being a relative term. It’s all nonsense given that this isn’t college football and there’s a tournament to determined the national champ. But I digress.)
Or perhaps we should consider Syracuse.
Sure, the Orange (18-0) have only played in two states thus far, but winning at Pittsburgh on Monday would qualify as one of the most impressive wins by any team this season. Nobody wins at Pitt.
Syracuse and Kansas could both lose, too. Then Ohio State’s a slam dunk. (If San Diego State beats BYU, it’s in the mix as well.)
Sigh. If only we could wait a day. Then I’d have closure. At least for a week.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup