Jan 16, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Apparently there’s more friction in Champaign. Luckily for Illinois, it doesn’t involve Demetri McCamey.
Freshman Jereme Richmond didn’t play in Saturday’s loss to Wisconsin because he missed practice time and had a basic lack of preparation, according to a story in the St. Louis Dispatch. Big Ten Network analyst Jim Jackson tweeted he has sources who said Richmond wanted to transfer, but he later back off that claim.
Weber says Richmond “hopefully” will play Tuesday against Michigan State. The players aren’t talking, either.
Asked if he was surprised that Richmond didn’t play, forward Bill Cole offered an abrupt, “No.” Said forward Tyler Griffey, “I’m not going to comment on the Jereme situation, sorry.”
The only one who’s talking? McCamey. And he’s backing the coach. (Lesson learned from last year.)
“He’s part of the team and coach Weber played the best people, so nobody talked about Jereme and everyone was just trying to win a ballgame,” McCamey told the paper. “Everybody has a chance to play the next game. That’s up to coach Weber.”
Richmond is averaging 7.5 points and 4.5 rebounds a game.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)