Jan 16, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Apparently there’s more friction in Champaign. Luckily for Illinois, it doesn’t involve Demetri McCamey.
Freshman Jereme Richmond didn’t play in Saturday’s loss to Wisconsin because he missed practice time and had a basic lack of preparation, according to a story in the St. Louis Dispatch. Big Ten Network analyst Jim Jackson tweeted he has sources who said Richmond wanted to transfer, but he later back off that claim.
Weber says Richmond “hopefully” will play Tuesday against Michigan State. The players aren’t talking, either.
Asked if he was surprised that Richmond didn’t play, forward Bill Cole offered an abrupt, “No.” Said forward Tyler Griffey, “I’m not going to comment on the Jereme situation, sorry.”
The only one who’s talking? McCamey. And he’s backing the coach. (Lesson learned from last year.)
“He’s part of the team and coach Weber played the best people, so nobody talked about Jereme and everyone was just trying to win a ballgame,” McCamey told the paper. “Everybody has a chance to play the next game. That’s up to coach Weber.”
Richmond is averaging 7.5 points and 4.5 rebounds a game.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 7
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)