Jan 16, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Apparently there’s more friction in Champaign. Luckily for Illinois, it doesn’t involve Demetri McCamey.
Freshman Jereme Richmond didn’t play in Saturday’s loss to Wisconsin because he missed practice time and had a basic lack of preparation, according to a story in the St. Louis Dispatch. Big Ten Network analyst Jim Jackson tweeted he has sources who said Richmond wanted to transfer, but he later back off that claim.
Weber says Richmond “hopefully” will play Tuesday against Michigan State. The players aren’t talking, either.
Asked if he was surprised that Richmond didn’t play, forward Bill Cole offered an abrupt, “No.” Said forward Tyler Griffey, “I’m not going to comment on the Jereme situation, sorry.”
The only one who’s talking? McCamey. And he’s backing the coach. (Lesson learned from last year.)
“He’s part of the team and coach Weber played the best people, so nobody talked about Jereme and everyone was just trying to win a ballgame,” McCamey told the paper. “Everybody has a chance to play the next game. That’s up to coach Weber.”
Richmond is averaging 7.5 points and 4.5 rebounds a game.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)