Jan 19, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
No. 12 Kentucky got outshot, outrebounded, outplayed and outdone during Tuesday night’s 68-66 win by Alabama. Freshmen stars Brandon Knight (5 of 15, 3 turnovers) and Terrence Jones (5 of 13, 4 turnovers) looked like, well, freshmen, particularly when the Tide surged to a 52-32 lead in the second half.
“When we get muscled and manhandled, this is what you see,” coach John Calipari lamented afterward.
It left the Wildcats (14-4) at 2-2 in the SEC East and pondering just how to win on the road.
So what’s everyone talking about today? Calipari’s language, naturally.
Nearly every message board over at CatsPause.com contains some kind of fan debate about Calipari’s verbal ways. (See here, here, here and here.) TV cameras highlighted numerous exchanges between the coach and his players. Calipari wasn’t miked up, but even a novice lip reader could make out his words, which wouldn’t have been FCC approved.
But I gotta agree with Dan Wolken – cussing isn’t something Calipari should be sorry about. The coach has always used colorful adjectives when it suited his purpose during games, including last year and this year at Kentucky. It wasn’t a problem before and shouldn’t be a problem now.
If Calipari wants to apologize for something, apologize for Tuesday night’s performance. Kentucky losing to Alabama? That just isn’t done.
And it’s certainly worth dropping an eff-bomb or 12 when it happens.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte