Jan 20, 2011, 7:28 AM EDT
Bo Ryan’s got it figured out. Wisconsin’s offense may not fly up and down the court, but few teams can match Ryan’s when it comes to scoring points. Because few teams score more efficiently than the Badgers. When they’re clicking, it’s a thing of beauty.
Oddly enough, they haven’t clicked lately, but they’re still scoring as efficiently as anyone.
Wisconsin’s field-goal percentage (not a tempo-free friendly stat) is dead last among Big Ten teams at 39.8 percent. But they score 1.14 points per possession, on par with Illinois, currently shooting lights out. So, in case you’re still not getting what’s going on with Wisconsin, I’ll let Ryan explain.
“If you shoot 33 percent (from 3-point range), that’s 50 percent from the floor (overall),” Ryan told Madison.com. “That can make up for (a low overall shooting percentage) and give you your points per possession, because the field goal percentage doesn’t have to be as high if you’re hitting 3s.”
The Badgers make 37.4 percent of their 3s. So yeah, Ryan has it figured out.
With Indiana coming to town Thursday night, it’ll be an interesting showdown of offenses. The Hoosiers’ overall efficiency isn’t as good as Wisconsin’s, but they shoot a smidge better.
How will it play out? Wisconsin wins, of course. Badgers never lose at home.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games