Jan 29, 2011, 3:25 PM EDT
Is there a more frustrating team to watch than No. 24 Florida?
The Gators have impressive wins at Georgia and Tennessee, both of which came in overtime. They also lost to Jacksonville, Central Florida, and played one of the ugliest games I have ever seen in a 45-40 win at Auburn.
Today, ugly Florida was the team that showed up.
The Gators went into Starkville as the first place team in the SEC East, sitting pretty at 5-1 in league play. They left with a loss, getting a combined 8-28 performance from Kenny Boynton and Erving Walker as Mississippi State rode four players — literally, only Kodi Augustus, Ravern Johnson, Dee Bost, and Renardo Sidney scored — to a 71-64 win.
I wish I had some new insight on what ails the Gators, but I don’t. The Gators don’t play all that much defense, which is a problem since the Gators are so inconsistent offensively. But offensive inconsistency is what you expect from a team that starts two shoot-first “point guards”. Case in point — while Boynton and Walker were shooting 8-28 from the floor, Erik Murphy, Alex Tyus, and Vernon Macklin were shooting 9-14 from the field.
Until Florida learns that their offense needs to utilize the versatility of Chandler Parsons and play from the inside out, this team is going to continue to perplex.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)