Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Jimmer Fredette truly is a national story. They’re even talking about him in Boston.
And nobody talking college hoops in Boston.
BYU’s senior star got the treatment from Globe columnist Bob Ryan during the weekend, a guy who made his name on the NBA beat. So his column focus makes sense to me: “Who does Fredette remind you of?”
It’s the game every NBA fan’s playing these days. When Jimmer heads to the league, who’s he gonna be like?
Ryan dismisses Jimmer as Mark Price (too boring) or J.J. Redick (stand-still jumper). And don’t even think about Dennis Johnson, because DJ “was completely sui generis.” (Ryan’s audience took Latin; mine took IM.)
That leaves … Scott Skiles. And that ain’t bad.
But Ryan’s willing to go one step further. Much like Kevin Durant has completely defied comparisons because of his blend of size and skill, Jimmer may very well be the first Jimmer Fredette.
In college? Sure. But that may be asking a bit much for the NBA.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)