Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
Jimmer Fredette truly is a national story. They’re even talking about him in Boston.
And nobody talking college hoops in Boston.
BYU’s senior star got the treatment from Globe columnist Bob Ryan during the weekend, a guy who made his name on the NBA beat. So his column focus makes sense to me: “Who does Fredette remind you of?”
It’s the game every NBA fan’s playing these days. When Jimmer heads to the league, who’s he gonna be like?
Ryan dismisses Jimmer as Mark Price (too boring) or J.J. Redick (stand-still jumper). And don’t even think about Dennis Johnson, because DJ “was completely sui generis.” (Ryan’s audience took Latin; mine took IM.)
That leaves … Scott Skiles. And that ain’t bad.
But Ryan’s willing to go one step further. Much like Kevin Durant has completely defied comparisons because of his blend of size and skill, Jimmer may very well be the first Jimmer Fredette.
In college? Sure. But that may be asking a bit much for the NBA.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)