Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Jimmer Fredette truly is a national story. They’re even talking about him in Boston.
And nobody talking college hoops in Boston.
BYU’s senior star got the treatment from Globe columnist Bob Ryan during the weekend, a guy who made his name on the NBA beat. So his column focus makes sense to me: “Who does Fredette remind you of?”
It’s the game every NBA fan’s playing these days. When Jimmer heads to the league, who’s he gonna be like?
Ryan dismisses Jimmer as Mark Price (too boring) or J.J. Redick (stand-still jumper). And don’t even think about Dennis Johnson, because DJ “was completely sui generis.” (Ryan’s audience took Latin; mine took IM.)
That leaves … Scott Skiles. And that ain’t bad.
But Ryan’s willing to go one step further. Much like Kevin Durant has completely defied comparisons because of his blend of size and skill, Jimmer may very well be the first Jimmer Fredette.
In college? Sure. But that may be asking a bit much for the NBA.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)