Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
Jimmer Fredette truly is a national story. They’re even talking about him in Boston.
And nobody talking college hoops in Boston.
BYU’s senior star got the treatment from Globe columnist Bob Ryan during the weekend, a guy who made his name on the NBA beat. So his column focus makes sense to me: “Who does Fredette remind you of?”
It’s the game every NBA fan’s playing these days. When Jimmer heads to the league, who’s he gonna be like?
Ryan dismisses Jimmer as Mark Price (too boring) or J.J. Redick (stand-still jumper). And don’t even think about Dennis Johnson, because DJ “was completely sui generis.” (Ryan’s audience took Latin; mine took IM.)
That leaves … Scott Skiles. And that ain’t bad.
But Ryan’s willing to go one step further. Much like Kevin Durant has completely defied comparisons because of his blend of size and skill, Jimmer may very well be the first Jimmer Fredette.
In college? Sure. But that may be asking a bit much for the NBA.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)