Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Jimmer Fredette truly is a national story. They’re even talking about him in Boston.
And nobody talking college hoops in Boston.
BYU’s senior star got the treatment from Globe columnist Bob Ryan during the weekend, a guy who made his name on the NBA beat. So his column focus makes sense to me: “Who does Fredette remind you of?”
It’s the game every NBA fan’s playing these days. When Jimmer heads to the league, who’s he gonna be like?
Ryan dismisses Jimmer as Mark Price (too boring) or J.J. Redick (stand-still jumper). And don’t even think about Dennis Johnson, because DJ “was completely sui generis.” (Ryan’s audience took Latin; mine took IM.)
That leaves … Scott Skiles. And that ain’t bad.
But Ryan’s willing to go one step further. Much like Kevin Durant has completely defied comparisons because of his blend of size and skill, Jimmer may very well be the first Jimmer Fredette.
In college? Sure. But that may be asking a bit much for the NBA.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)