Feb 14, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
Let’s all take a moment and give thanks for the NCAA tournament, shall we? Because nobody can agree on the nation’s best team. At least right now.
Kansas (24-1) vaulted to the top spot in the AP poll following Ohio State’s loss Saturday at Wisconsin. The Buckeyes (24-1) dropped to No. 2, followed by Texas, Pitt and Duke. Odd thing is, the Longhorns (22-3) actually got more first-place votes than anyone else.
The Jayhawks also nabbed the top spot in the coaches’ poll, followed by Texas, Ohio State, Pitt and Duke. They also got the most first-place votes in that poll. (See complete polls here.)
But, before anyone spends too much time expressing their disbelief that Kansas is No. 1 – voters are simply starting their opinion – let’s take a gander at what the computers say. Who’s their No. 1?
Ohio State stayed atop the kenpom.com ratings, though it edges Kansas by an slim .0013 margin. Not sure that’s a discernable difference. Duke, Texas and Pitt round out the Top 5.
Jeff Sagarin also has the Buckeyes at No. 1 in his overall ratings, followed by Kansas, Pitt, Duke and Texas. (Starting to see a trend for the nation’s five best teams?) For what it’s worth, the Jayhawks are No. 1 in his PREDICTOR rating, which measures future game performance.
The guys at Teamrankings.com rate ‘em like this: Ohio State, Texas, Kansas, Pitt and Duke. And the Longhorns are this close to overtaking the Buckeyes there.
The rating system that does have Kansas No. 1? The RPI. Then again, its Top 5 goes BYU, Ohio State, Georgetown and San Diego State. Pitt, Duke and Texas are 6, 7 and 8.
So who’s right? Who cares! There’s a tournament in a month that settle on a winner. In the meantime, enjoy arguing amongst each other.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)