Feb 14, 2011, 2:09 PM EDT
Let’s all take a moment and give thanks for the NCAA tournament, shall we? Because nobody can agree on the nation’s best team. At least right now.
Kansas (24-1) vaulted to the top spot in the AP poll following Ohio State’s loss Saturday at Wisconsin. The Buckeyes (24-1) dropped to No. 2, followed by Texas, Pitt and Duke. Odd thing is, the Longhorns (22-3) actually got more first-place votes than anyone else.
The Jayhawks also nabbed the top spot in the coaches’ poll, followed by Texas, Ohio State, Pitt and Duke. They also got the most first-place votes in that poll. (See complete polls here.)
But, before anyone spends too much time expressing their disbelief that Kansas is No. 1 – voters are simply starting their opinion – let’s take a gander at what the computers say. Who’s their No. 1?
Ohio State stayed atop the kenpom.com ratings, though it edges Kansas by an slim .0013 margin. Not sure that’s a discernable difference. Duke, Texas and Pitt round out the Top 5.
Jeff Sagarin also has the Buckeyes at No. 1 in his overall ratings, followed by Kansas, Pitt, Duke and Texas. (Starting to see a trend for the nation’s five best teams?) For what it’s worth, the Jayhawks are No. 1 in his PREDICTOR rating, which measures future game performance.
The guys at Teamrankings.com rate ‘em like this: Ohio State, Texas, Kansas, Pitt and Duke. And the Longhorns are this close to overtaking the Buckeyes there.
The rating system that does have Kansas No. 1? The RPI. Then again, its Top 5 goes BYU, Ohio State, Georgetown and San Diego State. Pitt, Duke and Texas are 6, 7 and 8.
So who’s right? Who cares! There’s a tournament in a month that settle on a winner. In the meantime, enjoy arguing amongst each other.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)