Feb 14, 2011, 3:41 PM EST
Kansas is the new No. 1, but the game of the day promises to be West Virginia at Syracuse. Two teams desperate not to fall any further behind in the Big East standings? That’s some drama.
The Orange (20-6, 7-6) are favored by five, but Teamrankings.com indicates the game could come down to one possession. That’s a promising sign for the Mountaineers (16-8, 7-5), who have lost 16 of the last 91 games between the two.
They’re coming off a much-needed win over DePaul on Saturday, in which they topped 71 points for the first time in nine games. Bob Huggins’ teams don’t rely on running up the score, but that’s a small drought even by their standards.
As for ‘Cuse, Jim Boeheim’s squad staged a monster rally Saturday, only to fall short against Louisville. It was their second straight loss and sixth in their last eight games. A loss Monday would probably mean finishing no better than .500 in Big East play. (7 p.m., ESPN)
Kansas at Kansas State, 9 p.m. (ESPN): The nation’s new No. 1 team already crushed their in-state foe once this season, 90-66 at Allen Fieldhouse. A trip to Manhattan should be somewhat more challenging, but it’s hard to say how much. The Jayhawks are better at every position and are on an offensive tear unseen in Lawrence since Drew Gooden, Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich were on the same court.
(All times ET)
Stony Brook at Albany, N.Y., 7 p.m.
West Virginia at Syracuse, 7 p.m.
Quinnipiac at Sacred Heart, 7:30 p.m.
Md.-Eastern Shore at Bethune-Cookman, 6:30 p.m.
Hampton at N. Carolina A&T, 7 p.m.
Savannah St. at The Citadel, 7:05 p.m.
Delaware St. at Florida A&M, 7:30 p.m.
Coppin St. at N.C. Central, 7:30 p.m.
Morgan St. at S. Carolina St., 7:30 p.m.
Sam Houston St. at McNeese St., 8 p.m.
Howard at Norfolk St., 8 p.m.
Tennessee St. at Tennessee Tech, 8 p.m.
Florida Gulf Coast at W. Kentucky, 8 p.m.
Texas Southern at Grambling St., 8:30 p.m.
Southern U. at MVSU, 8:30 p.m.
Prairie View at Jackson St., 9 p.m.
Kansas at Kansas St., 9 p.m.
Alcorn St. at Ark.-Pine Bluff, 8:30 p.m.
Nevada at Hawaii, Mid
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)