Feb 14, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Bo Ryan isn’t about to let some spit ruin Wisconsin’s best win of the season.
Moments after the Badgers handed Ohio State its first loss of the season Saturday, students rushed the court to celebrate with the team. Somewhere in that rush, someone spit on Buckeyes center Jared Sullinger, who tweeted his displeasure about the move.
A Wisconsin official said the athletic department is looking into the allegation. But the Badgers coach isn’t having it.
“Every area of our facility is all videotaped. There is absolutely nothing that has come to my attention,” Ryan said Monday during a reporter teleconference. “All I know is we won the game, deal with it.”
Ohio State coach Thad Matta did his best to downplay it.
“A student ran by and spit on him. Nothing too major,” Matta said Monday. “What are you going to do? Those things happen. It was a crazy environment, which was great for college basketball and for their fans, that sort of stuff. You don’t like to see that happen but you can’t do anything about it.”
As Bob Baptist from the Columbus Dispatch notes, Sullinger didn’t mention the spit after the game, but says Wisconsin fans have been noted for their “boorish behavior.”
It’s an odd thing. Sullinger’s seen as a no-frills, humble player. A lie seems out of character. Could he have mistaken spit for some other fluid? Did the video miss the spitter?
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)