Feb 14, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Bo Ryan isn’t about to let some spit ruin Wisconsin’s best win of the season.
Moments after the Badgers handed Ohio State its first loss of the season Saturday, students rushed the court to celebrate with the team. Somewhere in that rush, someone spit on Buckeyes center Jared Sullinger, who tweeted his displeasure about the move.
A Wisconsin official said the athletic department is looking into the allegation. But the Badgers coach isn’t having it.
“Every area of our facility is all videotaped. There is absolutely nothing that has come to my attention,” Ryan said Monday during a reporter teleconference. “All I know is we won the game, deal with it.”
Ohio State coach Thad Matta did his best to downplay it.
“A student ran by and spit on him. Nothing too major,” Matta said Monday. “What are you going to do? Those things happen. It was a crazy environment, which was great for college basketball and for their fans, that sort of stuff. You don’t like to see that happen but you can’t do anything about it.”
As Bob Baptist from the Columbus Dispatch notes, Sullinger didn’t mention the spit after the game, but says Wisconsin fans have been noted for their “boorish behavior.”
It’s an odd thing. Sullinger’s seen as a no-frills, humble player. A lie seems out of character. Could he have mistaken spit for some other fluid? Did the video miss the spitter?
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)