Feb 15, 2011, 8:01 AM EST
As Illinois continues its late-season fade, things are getting tense in Champaign. (Stop me if you’ve heard this before.)
Illinois coach Bruce Weber says that the recent performance by Demetri McCamey – the team’s most important player – has been affected by people not on the team. From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
“It’s college basketball,” Weber said. “There are a lot of influences whether it’s uncles, cousins, grandpas, ministers, preachers, relatives, neighbors. They all have something to say. And there’s also the factor of other outside people.
“There’s so much clutter in kids’ brains. Instead of just coming here and listening and being coachable, it all takes a toll and maybe adds up in the long haul.”
Weber paused and said: “I shouldn’t have said ministers and preachers, but I’ve had that before, too.”
McCamey’s lackluster Purdue game (4 points, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 turnovers, 1 for 10 from the floor) no doubt irked Weber, but the coach says it wasn’t just that. He lauded McCamey for his work on his jumper and other skills, but stopped doing that extra work once people started telling him he was thriving.
McCamey’s in a shooting slump and has hit double figures twice in the last six games. But this Illini team isn’t so dependent upon McCamey that everything falls on his shoulders. Center Mike Tisdale’s been a non-factor. Same with Jereme Richmond. Mike Davis and Brandon Paul have had moments, but been inconsistent.
If Illinois finishes 9-9 in the Big Ten, that should be enough to reach the Big Dance and most of this will fall by the wayside. If not, Weber’s probably going to regret he ever brought it up.
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)