Feb 21, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
When the next Duke-North Carolina game rolls around, don’t expect Mike Krzyzewski to do one of those new in-game sideline interviews.
“That stinks,” Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “That shouldn’t be. Are you kidding me? That’s horrible. Horrible.”
Coach K’s far from the only one who dislikes the interviews. They’ve popped up during SEC games because the league’s coaches agreed to conduct the interviews with ESPN sideline reporters, but they’re a mixed badg thus far.
“I could do without them. But if they ask us to do them I’m going to because I said I would,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings told the Gainesville Sun. “I would be just as happy without them, I can promise you that.”
Florida coach Billy Donovan says he understands the need to place the “viewer into the huddle,” while Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t mind the interviews.
“They are OK,” Calipari said. “If it’s helping our league, if it’s giving us a little bit of something that others don’t have, I think it’s a good thing.”
Oddly enough, Calipari was part of one of the oddest sideline interviews thus far. During Tuesday’s win vs. Miss State, his Wildcats were enduring a rough half and he was searching for a leader, not a quote.
And Coach K? Heck, he doesn’t even do halftime interviews.
“You shouldn’t be distracted,” Krzyzewski said. “You don’t owe anything to anyone else. That’s wrong. That’s why I never do halftime interviews. I want my team to know the only people I’m talking to from start to finish is them and sometimes the referees.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)