Feb 21, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
When the next Duke-North Carolina game rolls around, don’t expect Mike Krzyzewski to do one of those new in-game sideline interviews.
“That stinks,” Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “That shouldn’t be. Are you kidding me? That’s horrible. Horrible.”
Coach K’s far from the only one who dislikes the interviews. They’ve popped up during SEC games because the league’s coaches agreed to conduct the interviews with ESPN sideline reporters, but they’re a mixed badg thus far.
“I could do without them. But if they ask us to do them I’m going to because I said I would,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings told the Gainesville Sun. “I would be just as happy without them, I can promise you that.”
Florida coach Billy Donovan says he understands the need to place the “viewer into the huddle,” while Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t mind the interviews.
“They are OK,” Calipari said. “If it’s helping our league, if it’s giving us a little bit of something that others don’t have, I think it’s a good thing.”
Oddly enough, Calipari was part of one of the oddest sideline interviews thus far. During Tuesday’s win vs. Miss State, his Wildcats were enduring a rough half and he was searching for a leader, not a quote.
And Coach K? Heck, he doesn’t even do halftime interviews.
“You shouldn’t be distracted,” Krzyzewski said. “You don’t owe anything to anyone else. That’s wrong. That’s why I never do halftime interviews. I want my team to know the only people I’m talking to from start to finish is them and sometimes the referees.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 9
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles