Feb 21, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
When the next Duke-North Carolina game rolls around, don’t expect Mike Krzyzewski to do one of those new in-game sideline interviews.
“That stinks,” Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “That shouldn’t be. Are you kidding me? That’s horrible. Horrible.”
Coach K’s far from the only one who dislikes the interviews. They’ve popped up during SEC games because the league’s coaches agreed to conduct the interviews with ESPN sideline reporters, but they’re a mixed badg thus far.
“I could do without them. But if they ask us to do them I’m going to because I said I would,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings told the Gainesville Sun. “I would be just as happy without them, I can promise you that.”
Florida coach Billy Donovan says he understands the need to place the “viewer into the huddle,” while Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t mind the interviews.
“They are OK,” Calipari said. “If it’s helping our league, if it’s giving us a little bit of something that others don’t have, I think it’s a good thing.”
Oddly enough, Calipari was part of one of the oddest sideline interviews thus far. During Tuesday’s win vs. Miss State, his Wildcats were enduring a rough half and he was searching for a leader, not a quote.
And Coach K? Heck, he doesn’t even do halftime interviews.
“You shouldn’t be distracted,” Krzyzewski said. “You don’t owe anything to anyone else. That’s wrong. That’s why I never do halftime interviews. I want my team to know the only people I’m talking to from start to finish is them and sometimes the referees.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)