Feb 21, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
When the next Duke-North Carolina game rolls around, don’t expect Mike Krzyzewski to do one of those new in-game sideline interviews.
“That stinks,” Krzyzewski told the Raleigh News & Observer. “That shouldn’t be. Are you kidding me? That’s horrible. Horrible.”
Coach K’s far from the only one who dislikes the interviews. They’ve popped up during SEC games because the league’s coaches agreed to conduct the interviews with ESPN sideline reporters, but they’re a mixed badg thus far.
“I could do without them. But if they ask us to do them I’m going to because I said I would,” Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings told the Gainesville Sun. “I would be just as happy without them, I can promise you that.”
Florida coach Billy Donovan says he understands the need to place the “viewer into the huddle,” while Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t mind the interviews.
“They are OK,” Calipari said. “If it’s helping our league, if it’s giving us a little bit of something that others don’t have, I think it’s a good thing.”
Oddly enough, Calipari was part of one of the oddest sideline interviews thus far. During Tuesday’s win vs. Miss State, his Wildcats were enduring a rough half and he was searching for a leader, not a quote.
And Coach K? Heck, he doesn’t even do halftime interviews.
“You shouldn’t be distracted,” Krzyzewski said. “You don’t owe anything to anyone else. That’s wrong. That’s why I never do halftime interviews. I want my team to know the only people I’m talking to from start to finish is them and sometimes the referees.”
Want more? I’m also on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)