Feb 23, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
Everyone needs a David Lighty. And if you don’t have one, well, good luck.
The Ohio State senior’s always been a valuable asset for coach Thad Matta because of his versatility and willingness to do just about anything to help the Buckeyes win. Guard the top scoring threat? Sure. Make the hustle plays? You bet. Play out of position when needed? No sweat.
“To be a good team, you have to have all the parts. If you’re selfish, the team can’t win. For me to do the dirty work, I’m happy to do it,” he told Mike DeCourcy last season.
But this season’s been another story.
Now’s when the guy making all the hustle plays is stepping into the spotlight.
Despite freshman Jared Sullinger grabbing the headlines, Lighty’s the guy who usually earns plaudits from opposing coaches. It was true back in December, and it’s still true. Illinois coach Bruce Weber said as much after Ohio State’s 89-70 won Tuesday night.
“I’ve said since the beginning: I love him,” Weber said. “I think he’s the MVP. He probably won’t get it because people aren’t smart enough. But he’s their heart and soul.”
In fact, if Weber could pinpoint the biggest problem with his 17-11 team, it’s that there’s no Lighty on his roster.
“If you have a Lighty, a heart and soul who comes every day and does what you need. We just don’t have that toughness, that leadership — that difference-maker,” Weber said.
It was easy to see Tuesday. Lighty scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half, 13 of which came in a remarkable 3-minite span.
“They should put a statue in front of the [Ohio State’s] Schottenstein Center of David Lighty, just what he’s meant to this program, not only on the court,” Matta said. “His performance there in the second half was high level. I looked out there (and) it was like he was everywhere.”
Do yourself a favor coaches. Go get yourself a Lighty.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner