Feb 27, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Just what can slow down Jimmer Fredette?
San Diego State harangued the BYU star into 8-of-23 shooting Saturday, but the nation’s leading scorer still managed to score 25 points, just two points below his season average in an 80-67 win over the No. 6 Aztecs. And it wasn’t just SDSU throwing various man and zone defenses at him all game.
The crowd also tried their best.
There were at least four different methods of distractions employed by San Diego State’s home fans. Dan Fogarty over at Sportsgrid.com showcased ‘em all in this story.
It was more than simply the floating heads behind the backboard during free throws, too. (SDSU uses those during every game.) They also did their best to “challenge” his beliefs – no nasty chants! – by dressing up as Mormon missionaries.
But the most devious plan involved Fredette’s girlfriend, Whitney Wonnacott.
Aztecs fans set up a Facebook event that was only intended to encourage people to “poke” Wonnacott. The purpose? To “disrupt, upset, distract and irritate (the) opponent.”
That is brilliant. And horrifying.
Anyone on FB knows how insanely annoying “poking” can be. When it happens to me, one of two things occur: I “defriend” the person who insisted on “poking” me. If that fails, I bash their computer until it’s a smoldering pile of useless microchips. I hate poking. And I’m not the only one.
But Fredette’s girlfriend is made of sterner stuff than me. Here’s what she said.
“I wasn’t that upset about it, I was just, I didn’t want them to say bad things about me,” Wonnacott told The Daily Aztec, the SDSU student newspaper. “I’m not mad at all.”
Jimmer AND his girlfriend are unshakeable? This is bad news for the college hoops world. (Unless you’re a Cougar fan.)
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)